"Woombye - land of the black snake" Top 5 Page for this destination Woombye by al2401
Woombye Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 66 photos
Woombye is a small town of just over 2,000 people and is located in the Sunshine Coast hinterland in Queensland, Australia, approximately 100 km north of Brisbane. The name is derived from Aboriginal words for black snake.
When gold was discovered in Gympie (northg of Woombye) in 1867 a road was built to access the goldfields. Completed in 1867 the road soon was soon serviced by Cobb & Co coaches carrying passengers, mail and goods to the goldfileds from Brisbane and returning with gold. Woombye was established as a staging camp half way along the route and was originally called Cobbs Camp. The only accommodation between Brisbane and the goldfields was established here.
By 1877 the gold was almost played out and Cobb & Co withdrew their services but the town remained. A store and butcher's shop were built. In the 1880's the town was given the name of Woombye. After the rail from brisbane was extended to Yandina the town became a centre for local farmers to send their goods to market.
A school was built in 1894 followed by a sawmill in 1895. Pineapple growing was also established in 1895. 1898 saw the building of the Anglican Church and the School of Arts.
The Criterion Hotel, locally and fondly known as 'The Woombye Pub' was built in 1900.
Much of the history of Woombye has been recodred in murals to be found around the town.
Link to local website - Woombye
The family of Karl and Mary Stumpf were one of the first to settle in the Woombye area. on the 10th August 1980... more travel advice
The Woombye war memorial is in the form of a broken column with a laurel wreath and the Australian Commonwealth Military... more travel advice
al2401's Related Pages
Woombye Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Place to Dance"
- "Woombye - land of the black snake"
- "Woombye, a delightfull little town"
- "The Woombye pub experience"
- "THE LITTLE TOWN OF WOOMBYE"
- "Woombye a great little place."
- "Woombye you have made it!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Woombye
- Restaurants in Woombye
- Shopping in Woombye
- Warnings and Dangers in Woombye
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Woombye
- 5 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (57)
Have you been to Woombye?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Woombye
Photos in WoombyeSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Turkey Intro, 29 reviews, 207 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 46 reviews, 173 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 29 reviews, 175 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 29 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brisbane Intro, 35 reviews, 155 photos
- Egypt Intro, 20 reviews, 155 photos, 8 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 22 reviews, 132 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cusco Intro, 29 reviews, 109 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mooloolaba Intro, 22 reviews, 96 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 10 reviews, 106 photos, 7 travelogues