"Göreme - another world" Goreme by al2401
Goreme Travel Guide: 514 reviews and 1,597 photos
Göreme is one of the oldest centres in the Cappadocia area. Earlier called Korama it has a history dating back as far as the 3rd century maybe earlier.
The area is known for its remarkable rock formations. The volcanic tuff has been eroded by the elements into structures commonly called 'Fairy Chimneys'. The cliff faces contain many caves which over the years have been used for dwelling places as well as places of worship
Göreme was also centre of importance in the early Christian times. The Open Air Museum has many examples of cave churches richly decorated with colourful frescos depicting events in the life of Christ
I thoroughly enjoyed all of the types of food a had while in Turkey but especially the local speciality of the region. A pottery kebab. The meal of meat and vegetables is cooked inside a clay pot. When ready the top is smashed off and the food is already served in its own dish. Excellent when washed down with an Efes beer.
- Cons:I needed more time
- In a nutshell:On my 'I will return' list
Ihlara is a 150m deep gorge carved out by the Melendiz River and has a popular walking track along its 14km length. The... more travel advice
There are a number of valleys in the Cappadocia region for walking. The Red Valley is one of the most beautiful. Early... more travel advice
al2401's Related Pages
Goreme Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MAGICAL CAPPADOCIA!"
- "Göreme and Cappadocia"
- "Goreme Open-Air Museum"
- "The magical, fantasy world of Kapadokya"
- "Goreme and Cappadocia"
- "For those who into art history"
- "out of this world"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Goreme
- Hotels in Goreme
- Transportation in Goreme
- Nightlife in Goreme
- Restaurants in Goreme
- Shopping in Goreme
- Warnings and Dangers in Goreme
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Goreme
- 6 Reviews
- 89 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (56)
Have you been to Goreme?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Goreme
Top 10 Pages
- Turkey Intro, 29 reviews, 207 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 46 reviews, 173 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 29 reviews, 175 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 29 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brisbane Intro, 35 reviews, 155 photos
- Egypt Intro, 20 reviews, 155 photos, 8 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 22 reviews, 132 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cusco Intro, 29 reviews, 109 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mooloolaba Intro, 22 reviews, 96 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 10 reviews, 106 photos, 7 travelogues