"Cusco - 'The navel of the Earth'" Cusco by al2401
Cusco Travel Guide: 1,078 reviews and 2,352 photos
In the 12th century, as legend has it, the first Inca Manco was directed by the sun god Inti to found the qosq'o or 'navel of the earth'. The city flourished especially under the hands of the ninth Inca Pachacutec but was lost to the Spanish conquistador Francisco Pizzaro on the murder of the 12th Inca Atahualpa.
This fascinating city has an interesting meld of Inca and Colonial architecture with colonial buildings built on remains of Inca walls. It is easy to explore with most roads leading to the Plaza de Armas.
Cusco is situated at 3,300 metres above sea level and you will need to aclimatise to the altitude. For exploring the city the best way is to take a taxi (extremely cheap) to a high point such as St Cristobal or San Blas and wander downhill at leisure.
A Pisco Sour is a cocktail containing pisco (8 parts), lemon or lime juice (4 parts), egg whites 1, simple syrup (3... more travel advice
At 4335 metres above sea level, La Raya Pass is the highest point on the road from Cusco to Puno. It is also where you... more travel advice
al2401's Related Pages
Cusco Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cusco and the Sacred Valley"
- "The center of the Empire"
- "The "special" shine in Cusco"
- "Cusco - "Navel of the Earth""
- "A window on Cuzco"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cusco
- Hotels in Cusco
- Transportation in Cusco
- Nightlife in Cusco
- Restaurants in Cusco
- Shopping in Cusco
- Warnings and Dangers in Cusco
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cusco
- 29 Reviews
- 109 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to Cusco?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cusco
Top 10 Pages
- Turkey Intro, 29 reviews, 207 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 46 reviews, 173 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 29 reviews, 175 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 29 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brisbane Intro, 35 reviews, 155 photos
- Egypt Intro, 20 reviews, 155 photos, 8 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 22 reviews, 132 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cusco Intro, 29 reviews, 109 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mooloolaba Intro, 22 reviews, 96 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 10 reviews, 106 photos, 7 travelogues