"Lima" Lima by al2401
Lima Travel Guide: 1,224 reviews and 2,775 photos
Lima is tha capital city of Peru. The area around present day Lima has been settled since the pre-Colombia era and was added to the Inca empire in the 1400's.
The city was founded by the Spanish conquistador Francisco Pizzaro in 1535 and was known as la Ciudad de los Reyes, or "the City of Kings". Lima became the major centre of the Viceroyalty of Peru and as such was the hub of trade routes linking Europe, the Americas and the Far East. It flourished, attracting pirates and privateers from the Pacific and walls were built around the city in the 1680's. An earthquake in 1687 destroyed a large portion of the city and earthquakes continue with major events in 1746 and 1940. Lima became the capital of the Republic of Peru after independence.
Lima is a fertile oasis in the coastal desert of Peru and is known for the 'Costa Verde', green clad cliffs down to the Pacific Ocean. The city centre has much history and many museums; the residential areas of Miraflores and Barranco are worth a visit and the cuisine is great especially the seafood.
The Puente de los Suspiros, or Bridge of Sighs - if you can walk across it for the first time, without taking a breath,... more travel advice
The Larco Museum is famous for its huge storage area which is open for viewing by the public. Most museums usually... more travel advice
al2401's Related Pages
Lima Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "El_Sueco's new Lima Page*)"
- "Lima from Callao"
- "It Never Rains in Lima, but Maybe it Should"
- "LIMA... HELL OF THE GODS!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lima
- Hotels in Lima
- Transportation in Lima
- Nightlife in Lima
- Restaurants in Lima
- Shopping in Lima
- Warnings and Dangers in Lima
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lima
- 22 Reviews
- 85 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (55)
Have you been to Lima?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lima
Photos in LimaSee All Photos (85)
Top 10 Pages
- Turkey Intro, 29 reviews, 207 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 46 reviews, 173 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 29 reviews, 175 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 29 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brisbane Intro, 35 reviews, 155 photos
- Egypt Intro, 20 reviews, 155 photos, 8 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 22 reviews, 132 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cusco Intro, 29 reviews, 109 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mooloolaba Intro, 22 reviews, 96 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 10 reviews, 106 photos, 7 travelogues