"Dominical, Costa Rica" Dominical by roenigk

Dominical Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 26 photos

Must see whale watching tour

Between Dominical and Uvita is Marino Ballena National Park. This is the home winter home of whales that have come from both the Arctic and Antarctic. Supposedly, this is the only place in the Pacific where whales from both hemispheres meet.

They whales have their calves here and some remain year round. Very cool seeing a 50 ton animal jump completely out of the water and do a belly flop. This was the best two days of my vacation. (I took three trips. Each was different. Each was great.) At one point, there had to be more than 1000 dolphin around the boat.

There are just a few boat options. All but one are single engine fiberglass boats (locals call these Panga boats). Only one engine. No radio. Some have life jackets. Some don't. No bathroom for the wife. The other option is Pacific Quest, which is what my family took. It's a large tour boat with a covered observation deck. Very professional crew. A marine biologist was aboard telling us all about whales and dolphins. Quite interesting. And, he identified the whales we saw just by their blow. Website is CostaRicaWhaleWatching.com. We paid $69 for an adult ticket. As I said earlier, this was the highlight of our Costa Rica vacation.

• Last visit to Dominical: Dec 2009
  • Intro Written Dec 23, 2009

Comments

roenigk Visits Here Frequently!

Ranked Member

Badges & Stats in Dominical

Have you been to Dominical?

Latest Activity in Dominical