"Keeweechic's Guangzhou" Guangzhou by keeweechic
Guangzhou Travel Guide: 982 reviews and 2,339 photos
Guangzhou - located north of Pearl River Delta and formerly known as Canton, Guangzhou is the capital of Guangdong Province and the southern gateway to China. Known as the 'City of Flowers' and with a nickname of The Goat City, it is one of the largest cities in South China. Guangzhou was founded around 214 B.C. as an encampment by the armies of the first Emperor of Qin Dynasty, Qin Shihuang. By the Tang Dynasty (618-907), the city was already an international port. The modernisation of Guangzhou began in the early 1920s when most of the main streets defining the city today were built then. It took only 18 months to build 40 kilometres (25 mi.) of road. During that modernisation period, the remainder of the old city wall was pulled down. Today, throughout the city, high-rise hotels, bridges, and new highways now just seem to appear overnight.
I visited the Guangdong Province on a short trip from Hong Kong. It was very rushed and quite a bit was crammed in a very short time but I am sure there is a lot more to see in the region. I went by hydrofoil to Shekou then by coach through Shenzen stopping in Dongguan. Later we went on to Guangzhou. At the end of the trip We travelled back to Hong Kong by Train.
In my travelogue I have put an early visit, and indeed my first visit to China, into Zhongshan which is part of the Guangdong Province on the lower tip of the Pearl River Delta. I was on a tour from Hong Kong to Macau and we crossed the Gongbei border into Zhongshan. The trip was not so memorable as I remember having a dreadful headache that day. Even lunch at one of the large hotels passed me by. Still I have a few photos that I managed to take.
Downtown ever growing Shenzen. A larger number of foreigners are now living in Shenzhen which has been aiding in the... more travel advice
Terracotta warriors and horses. This was just a small display of a few pieces in the he Exhibition Hall in Shekou . The... more travel advice
keeweechic's Related Pages
Guangzhou Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nuthin' But a "GZ" Thang"
- "Guangzhou - From back in the day....."
- "Guangzhou - My Chinese Home"
- "The Gateway to China"
- "Joe Cooper's Guangzhou Page"
- "Guangzhou (广州)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Guangzhou
- Hotels in Guangzhou
- Transportation in Guangzhou
- Nightlife in Guangzhou
- Restaurants in Guangzhou
- Shopping in Guangzhou
- Warnings and Dangers in Guangzhou
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Guangzhou
- 23 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 90 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (155)
Have you been to Guangzhou?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Guangzhou
Photos in GuangzhouSee All Photos (33)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues