"Keeweechic's Guangzhou" Guangzhou by keeweechic

Guangzhou Travel Guide: 979 reviews and 2,327 photos

Guangzhou - located north of Pearl River Delta and formerly known as Canton, Guangzhou is the capital of Guangdong Province and the southern gateway to China. Known as the 'City of Flowers' and with a nickname of The Goat City, it is one of the largest cities in South China. Guangzhou was founded around 214 B.C. as an encampment by the armies of the first Emperor of Qin Dynasty, Qin Shihuang. By the Tang Dynasty (618-907), the city was already an international port. The modernisation of Guangzhou began in the early 1920s when most of the main streets defining the city today were built then. It took only 18 months to build 40 kilometres (25 mi.) of road. During that modernisation period, the remainder of the old city wall was pulled down. Today, throughout the city, high-rise hotels, bridges, and new highways now just seem to appear overnight.

I visited the Guangdong Province on a short trip from Hong Kong. It was very rushed and quite a bit was crammed in a very short time but I am sure there is a lot more to see in the region. I went by hydrofoil to Shekou then by coach through Shenzen stopping in Dongguan. Later we went on to Guangzhou. At the end of the trip We travelled back to Hong Kong by Train.

In my travelogue I have put an early visit, and indeed my first visit to China, into Zhongshan which is part of the Guangdong Province on the lower tip of the Pearl River Delta. I was on a tour from Hong Kong to Macau and we crossed the Gongbei border into Zhongshan. The trip was not so memorable as I remember having a dreadful headache that day. Even lunch at one of the large hotels passed me by. Still I have a few photos that I managed to take.

Photos which are taken by myself and all headings are copyright and digitally marked. Please do not use them without permission. Thanks.
© keeweechic 2001-2008 (copyright)

• Intro Updated Mar 14, 2008

Travelogues (1)

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2006 at 4:57 AM

Wonderful page. A possible side trip for when I go to Hong Kong this fall or next year.

• Toyin's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2005 at 5:43 AM

I am a strong follower of Sun Tzu, (The Art of War)..thus, I find your picture under Shekou very interesting!!! Lovely presentation.

• dr.firas's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2005 at 4:17 AM

The Zoo is for sure a wow!

• Karin1S's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2004 at 7:36 AM

It seems you've been at the same places in Guangzhou than i . . . great pics

• easyoar's Profile Photo
    Dec 14, 2004 at 3:35 PM

Wow you make Guanzhou look a lot more interesting than I remember it! I was a bit surprised to see some Terracotta Warriors here...

• xingfa's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2003 at 8:40 AM

Yes, and I will upload more pics about my city for you. Hope you will love it.Thanks for the comment!

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2003 at 7:10 PM

your knowledge about Asia is excellent, you must realy feel at home in this part of the world. thanx for sharing KW

• Sweetberry1's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2003 at 6:57 PM

Excellent page, Keewee, lovely photos.. Gosh.. China sure has a history, eh? Shenzen's population growth is unbelievable.. Woww... ;-))

• fouads's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2003 at 5:45 PM

Really great pages with wonderfull pic :-)

• socrates_07's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2003 at 2:12 PM

Although you visited the Guangdong province just for a very short time you told us a lot about your trip. You even could see the whole China in these few days (in Splendid China) ;-) Thanks for your very interesting page and informations.

keeweechic

“Travel is the greatest eye opener you will ever get.”

Badges & Stats in Guangzhou

Have you been to Guangzhou?

Latest Activity in Guangzhou