"Keeweechic's Mt Fuji and Hakone" Fuji by keeweechic
Fuji Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 92 photos
Mt Fuji - The highest mountain in Japan, Mt.Fuji-san, is 3776-metres high. Once a sacred mountain, Mt Fuji appeared in the present form about 10,000 years ago.
More than 300,000 people climb to the top of Mt.Fuji in a year. 30% of them are foreigners. The first foreigner to climb Mount Fuji was Sir Rutherford Alcock, the British consul, who struggled up its slope in July 1860. Now quietly dormant, not extinct, Fuji was at one time very active. The last eruption occurred in 1707 and covered Tokyo, 100 km distant, with a thick blanket of ash. During WW II, the U.S. Air Force even considered bombing Fuji back into activity, but thankfully this harebrained scheme (and I make no comment,as I would like to..... LOL, to Americans) was never implemented.
Mt Fuji, along with the ensign of the red Rising Sun on a field of white, is the national emblem, the symbol of Nippon. If the Japanese could travel to only once place in their lifetime, most would choose Mount Fuji and really.... why wouldn't you, its lovely!
Hakone - is the hot-springs area nearest Tokyo, about 2 hours away by train. Scattered about in the mountains are the famous Twelve Spas of Hakone, the oldest of which is Yumoto and the most popular of which is probably Miyanoshita. The area lies in the crater of what must have been an enormous volcano - hence all the hot water - which no doubt rivaled and perhaps dwarfed the immaculate Mt Fuji, located right next door to this resort area.
The Hakone national park has many places of historic interest and there is something for everyone with both amusement facilities and many museum.
The Hakone Free pass isn't actually free at all but it is a pass which includes a round trip ticket on the express train... more travel advice
If the pirate ship is a bit much for you, you can take one of these cute little peddle boats and putter around the... more travel advice
keeweechic's Related Pages
Fuji Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Mt Fuji and Hakone"
- "Conquering Fuji-san"
- "Fuji and Fuji Five Lakes"
- "Bixente's new Fuji Page"
- "Mount Fuji and surrounding area"
- "Fuji ?@•xŽm"
- "Climbing Mount Fuji"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fuji
- Hotels in Fuji
- Transportation in Fuji
- Restaurants in Fuji
- Warnings and Dangers in Fuji
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fuji
- 22 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 99 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (155)
Have you been to Fuji?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fuji
Photos in FujiSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues