"Keeweechic's Mt Fuji and Hakone" Fuji by keeweechic

Fuji Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 92 photos

Mt Fuji - The highest mountain in Japan, Mt.Fuji-san, is 3776-metres high. Once a sacred mountain, Mt Fuji appeared in the present form about 10,000 years ago.

More than 300,000 people climb to the top of Mt.Fuji in a year. 30% of them are foreigners. The first foreigner to climb Mount Fuji was Sir Rutherford Alcock, the British consul, who struggled up its slope in July 1860. Now quietly dormant, not extinct, Fuji was at one time very active. The last eruption occurred in 1707 and covered Tokyo, 100 km distant, with a thick blanket of ash. During WW II, the U.S. Air Force even considered bombing Fuji back into activity, but thankfully this harebrained scheme (and I make no comment,as I would like to..... LOL, to Americans) was never implemented.

Mt Fuji, along with the ensign of the red Rising Sun on a field of white, is the national emblem, the symbol of Nippon. If the Japanese could travel to only once place in their lifetime, most would choose Mount Fuji and really.... why wouldn't you, its lovely!

"He who has not climbed Mt. Fuji is a fool, he who has climbed it twice is a greater fool"

Hakone - is the hot-springs area nearest Tokyo, about 2 hours away by train. Scattered about in the mountains are the famous Twelve Spas of Hakone, the oldest of which is Yumoto and the most popular of which is probably Miyanoshita. The area lies in the crater of what must have been an enormous volcano - hence all the hot water - which no doubt rivaled and perhaps dwarfed the immaculate Mt Fuji, located right next door to this resort area.

The Hakone national park has many places of historic interest and there is something for everyone with both amusement facilities and many museum.

Photos which are taken by myself and all headings are copyright and digitally marked. Please do not use them without permission. Thanks. (c) keeweechic 2001-2008 (copyright)

• Intro Updated Jan 18, 2008

• Toshioohsako's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2007 at 8:41 AM

Your Japan tips are wonderful. They reminds me of many palce I have "NOT" been. Greetings

• Bilimari's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2006 at 10:38 AM

Great information on Fuji! I climbed Fuji during my high school trip loooong time ago, and it was just beautiful.

• CliffClaven's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2006 at 4:27 AM

Going all the way? Gambatte ne!!

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo
    May 29, 2005 at 1:37 PM

Hi Keewee this is a very nice page consumption Taxes are not to bad we pay 15 here in Canada on most items we buy Yes I would love to visit Fuji and they make good camera's etc

• dr.firas's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2005 at 4:21 AM

Great Views and info. about Fuji! I like all you Japanese Pages! No volcano on Earth will freak the real sould of the samurai, Japanese are safed!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Mar 14, 2005 at 12:53 PM

Very good and usuful info (local customs), awesome pictures and suggestions (Things to Do), good warning.

• Hosell's Profile Photo
    Jan 13, 2005 at 6:02 AM

Another of your great pages,Mt Fuji looks beautiful!.Japan must be an incredibel country!.Thanks also for your wishes,your spanish is very good!!!! :-)

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Nov 3, 2004 at 5:36 AM

Thank you for visiting my Vancouver pages. I thoroughly enjoyed your info and pix of Fuji. Great stuff!

• tpangelinan's Profile Photo
    Oct 3, 2004 at 5:55 PM

Wow what a beautiful page! Love the photos and very helpful tips! Awesome views of the mountain! Love the fact of no crime too! That orbit shot is way cool! Thanks :-)

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2004 at 10:04 AM

I was hoping on doing a day trip from Toyko, but I only have 3 days in Japan, so not sure if I'll have the time to do this...I really do hope I can...it does seem to awe you!!

keeweechic

“Travel is the greatest eye opener you will ever get.”

Badges & Stats in Fuji