"Keeweechic's Nikko - Japan" Nikko by keeweechic
Nikko Travel Guide: 301 reviews and 917 photos
I read that the Japanese apparently have an expression that you cannot say "Kekko" (meaning magnificent) until you have seen Nikko. The national park is certainly that, not to mention the most popular of all 27 national parks scattered throughout Japan. The park spreads across 200,000 acres taking in majestic mountains and picturesque lakes. Some of the most famous Nikko mountains are Mt. Okushirane (2,578m) , Mt. Nantai, Mt. Nasu, and Mt. Hiuchi. To reach Nikko will take you less than 2 hours by train from Tokyo. Once arriving, it is like stepping into a world of tranquility and sheer natural beauty. There are many opportunities for outdoor activities such as hiking and climbing trails, not to mention excellent fishing. In winter, there is cross-country skiing and ice skating. There are also many hot springs in this park.
Nikko, Japan is known historically as a religious centre in Japan. It is said that a Buddhist priest named Shodo Shonin came to Nikko and crossed the Sacred Bridge over the Daiya River and a legend has it that Shonin earnestly recited a Buddhist Sutra to enable him to cross over to the magnificent mountains and over to the other side. The old man in white clothes with a white beard appeared and tossed into the air two snakes, one green and one red, which then formed a bridge. Shonin was then able to cross the river on the backs of the two serpents and continued on his pilgrimage to Mt. Nantai. In 1636, the "Sacred Bridge" was built at this spot in order to be used by the shogun and his messengers to cross the river. Unfortunately in 1902 floods destroyed the bridge but it was rebuilt in 1907.
Toshogu is said to be the most popular Shrine in Japan to visit - it was certainly quite remarkable. It was built as a shrine and mausoleum to deify Ieyasu Tokugawa (1543-1616), founder of the Tokugawa Shogunate (1603-1868). Toshogu is famous for the ornate carvings which decorate the buildings both inside and outside.
Approaching Nikko you will see many large Japanese cedar trees, a lot of which are over 350 years old. Thousands of them are all around the shrines and roads leading to neighbouring villages.
Nikko is a place of sacred beauty with rich history. Majestic temples were built to honour the gods. Devout priests performed spiritual ceremonies here and it was a great drawcard for the powerful seeking tranquillity .
During the summer months, Japan can be hot and humid so you will need light clothing. In hilly areas of Nikko, it can... more travel advice
There are 207 Steps to the Inner Shrine. Make sure you take a few good deep breaths before starting your climb. Worth... more travel advice
keeweechic's Related Pages
Nikko Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nikko - UNESCO World Heritage Site"
- "The Temples of Nikko"
- ""Nikko is Nippon""
- "History and Nature Tours All in One!"
- "Nikko - A World Heritage Site"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nikko
- Hotels in Nikko
- Transportation in Nikko
- Restaurants in Nikko
- Shopping in Nikko
- Warnings and Dangers in Nikko
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nikko
- 35 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (155)
Have you been to Nikko?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nikko
Photos in NikkoSee All Photos (39)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues