"Keeweechic's Wylie" Wylie by keeweechic
Wylie Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 68 photos
Wylie is one of those places you pass through usually - nothing really makes you want to stop and investigate but still if you do, then you at least get to see some nice downtown shopping and also explore the outer areas to Lake Lavon.
Wyle began in 1886 and was named for Colonel W. D. Wylie who was a Santa Fe Railroad official and Civil War veteran. Wylie actually enjoyed a prosperous agricultural economy which was dependent on Cotton, Onions, Wheat and other crops until the Great Depression of the 1930s. Many businesses were forced to close during this time. During the 1950s and 60s Wylie became what is known as a bedroom community to growing employment centres in Dallas, Richardson and Garland. Most of the land area in the City of Wylie is mostly in the south-central section of Collin County. The city is located about 31 miles northeast of downtown Dallas.
The downtown area sits on a natural ridge which is generally at or above an elevation of 550 feet above mean sea level. Most of the City drains to three major creeks - Rush Creek, Muddy Creek, and Cottonwood Creek which all flow southeast to the East Fork of the Trinity River.
Wylie was originally known as Nickelville. The name was thought to have come from the name of the first store in the town
Wylie is around 31 miles north west of downtown Dallas. Take US-75 then the George Bush Turnpike and merge on TX190... more travel advice
On the east shore of the lake, Lavonia Park is closest to the dam wall. In summer it can get pretty crowded with boats... more travel advice
keeweechic's Related Pages
Wylie Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Wylie"
- "Gypsy_King's new Wylie Page"
- "smokaphaty in Wylie Page"
- "Wylie, Texas..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wylie
- Hotels in Wylie
- Transportation in Wylie
- Nightlife in Wylie
- Restaurants in Wylie
- Shopping in Wylie
- Warnings and Dangers in Wylie
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wylie
- 22 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (68)
Have you been to Wylie?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wylie
Photos in WylieSee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues