"Keeweechic's Wills Point" Wills Point by keeweechic
Wills Point Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 25 photos
Wills Point, originally thought to have been called Iola, was named after William Wills, a tax assessor who settled in the area in 1846 when it was found that there was another town in Texas called Lola. The town is in Van Zandt County, northwest of Canton on Hwy 80. Wills' log cabin that he built a double log cabin which is now considered to be the oldest house in the territory. He then began purchasing land from the state on the Dallas-Shreveport Road and built corrals. He also kept supplies and furnished his log cabin to provide a stop off for travellers. Thomas J McKain arrived in 1873 and became the towns first mayor, express and freight agent as well as worked at the first store. In 1877 the residents tried to move the county seat from Canton to Wills Point but failed to obtain the necessary majority although most were in favour. This caused all kinds of problems, resulting in violence, and the state militia had to step in.
Wills Point became the first Van Zandt community to incorporate in 1884. Williams Wills donated land to the town to establish the White Rose Cemetery which resulted in 5 white churches and 2 black churches being built. This was followed by 3 schools, cotton gins, oil mill, hotels and an opera house also being built. The local economy came from cotton, hides, grain, hay, livestock, vegetables and fruit which was all transported by rail. During the middle of the 20th century, the town was also known for its wild roses, elms and pecan trees.
Wills Point is also known as the "Gateway to Tawakoni" because of the close proximity of the lakes recreation area.
Wills Point was just a passing through little town, small and rural and still retaining some of its past charm.
Outside the Wills Cabin sits the family's water well. more travel advice
William and Mary Ann Wills were very well known for their hospitality. Many who travelled the Dallas-Shreveport Road... more travel advice
keeweechic's Related Pages
Wills Point Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Wills Point
- Transportation in Wills Point
- Restaurants in Wills Point
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wills Point
- 23 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (155)
Have you been to Wills Point?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wills Point
Photos in Wills PointSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues