Waxahachie Off The Beaten Path Tips by keeweechic
Waxahachie Off The Beaten Path: 15 reviews and 39 photos
Corsicana is located in Navarro County just southeast of Waxahachie (about 30 miles). The city's richness began from an innocent drilling for water which resulted in oil being found although at the time, the elders weren't happy - they needed water! There are lots of lovely antique stores in Corsicana as well as the famous Collins Street Bakery. There are also some lovely historic homes there as well as the county courthouse which is worth a look.
Ennis is about 10 mins northeast of Waxahachie. There is a lot of Czech culture in Ennis. The Railroad and Cultural Heritage Museum - houses memorabilia from the days when Ennis was the hub for Houston and Texas Central Railroad. Items include a 1897 edition of the Book of Rules for train operators, photos of trains that stopped in the town and miniature replicas of the train station in its early days. Ennis is also the Bluebonnet Capital of Texas.
Ovilla is a close knit community neighbouring Waxahachie. It is the oldest town in the county. It began in 1844 as an armed settlement when Texas was still a Republic. As settlers arrived in the area, the town grew. A log cabin initially served as both church and schoolhouse. The area remained unnamed until 1857 when it was then named for the wife of the Reverend, D. G. Molloy. By the 1900's there was a post office, bank, cotton gin, pharmacy and blacksmith shop but in 1918 and 1926 fires destroyed most of the downtown buildings, and this devastation along with the fact Ovilla was bypassed by railroads and major highways, led to a decline in growth. Ovilla is said to be 'a place of fertile land, towering trees, and rolling terrain.'
More Reviews (59)
- See All Faire General Info
- See All Festival Weather
- Festival Mark-ups
- See All Getting to Scarborough Faire
- See All New World Fajita
- See All Carnival Time
keeweechic's Related Pages
Waxahachie Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Charming Waxahachie"
- "Keeweechic's Waxahachie"
- "Gypsy_King's new Waxahachie Page"
- "Waxa Back to the Old Days"
- "The Gingerbread City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Waxahachie
- Hotels in Waxahachie
- Transportation in Waxahachie
- Nightlife in Waxahachie
- Restaurants in Waxahachie
- Shopping in Waxahachie
- Warnings and Dangers in Waxahachie
- See All...
Explore the World
- Saint Thomas
- Rwamagana Hotels
- Divjake Hotels
- Rottenberg Hotels
- Vallensbæk Hotels
- Mlada Boleslav
- Bad Breisig
- Austria Off The Beaten Path
- Agrigento Off The Beaten Path
- Dorset Off The Beaten Path
- Mahébourg Off The Beaten Path
- Ithaca Off The Beaten Path
- Kathmandu Off The Beaten Path
- Tacoma Off The Beaten Path
- Yosemite National Park
- Verona Off The Beaten Path
- Karlskirche & Karlsplatz
- Fort Collins Off The Beaten Path
- Oman Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Waxahachie
- 62 Reviews
- 104 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Waxahachie?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Waxahachie
Photos in WaxahachieSee All Photos (104)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (84)
Latest Waxahachie hotel reviews
- Ellis County Courthouse- 4 Reviews, 7 Photos
- Getzendaner Memorial Park- 1 Reviews, 1 Photos
- Singleton Plaza- 1 Reviews, 2 Photos
- Ellis County Jail- 1 Reviews, 2 Photos
- Chautauqua Auditorium- 1 Reviews, 1 Photos
- Rogers Hotel- 1 Reviews, 2 Photos
- Waxahahie Cotton Mills- 1 Reviews, 1 Photos
- Downtown- 1 Reviews, 1 Photos
- Citizens National Bank- 2 Reviews, 3 Photos
- Ellis County Museum- 3 Reviews, 5 Photos
See All Waxahachie Things to Do