"Keeweechic's Waxahachie" Waxahachie by keeweechic
Waxahachie Travel Guide: 110 reviews and 279 photos
Waxahachie has been nicknamed the Gingerbread City largely because of the architecture of the beautiful homes and buildings. The name itself however comes from the Indian word meaning "cow or buffalo creek". As the seat of Ellis Country, the city has become an important agricultural, commercial, educational and transport centre in between Dallas and Waco. Founded in 1850 by a pioneer settler, Emory Rogers, the city began to prosper when the railroad was established and as the nationals largest cotton producing country, cotton then was able to be shipped around the country quickly and efficiently. Many of the downtown buildings were built around this time. With the local economy booming, the construction industry took off, building large and exquisite homes which you can still see today.
As local cotton production deteriorated during the 1930s, Waxahachie's most affluent period came to an abrupt end. Since then, growth has been slow but it has also mean that the towns late 19th/early 20th century buildings have been saved. Waxahachie folks have taken an active part in the preservation and restoration of these historic buildings. Four individual properties and one historic district has already been listed on the National Register of Historic Places with many more proposed to be added in the future.
Waxahachie is also know for the Scarborough Faire Renaissance Festival held every year. Laid out on 35 acres, the faire have been running for 24 years (2003) and one of the best and largest renaissance festivals in the country.
Waxahachie is not far from Dallas (35 mins) and Fort Worth (45 mins).
The Faire usually begins about mid April through to the last weekend of May and is only open at weekends but includes... more travel advice
Like all shows/festivals/fairs, prices for food and beverages are marked up. They say no outside drinks or food is... more travel advice
- See All New World Fajita
- See All Carnival Time
- Texas Motorplex
- See All Corsicana
keeweechic's Related Pages
Waxahachie Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Charming Waxahachie"
- "Keeweechic's Waxahachie"
- "Gypsy_King's new Waxahachie Page"
- "Waxa Back to the Old Days"
- "The Gingerbread City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Waxahachie
- Hotels in Waxahachie
- Transportation in Waxahachie
- Nightlife in Waxahachie
- Restaurants in Waxahachie
- Shopping in Waxahachie
- Warnings and Dangers in Waxahachie
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Waxahachie
- 62 Reviews
- 104 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (154)
Have you been to Waxahachie?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Waxahachie
Photos in WaxahachieSee All Photos (104)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues