"Keeweechic's Shiner" Shiner by keeweechic
Shiner Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 29 photos
Shiner lies at the intersection of U.S. Highway 90A and State Highway 95 in western Lavaca County, 85 miles from San Antonio and 125 miles from Houston. In 1885 a post office called Half Moon was opened at a trading post near what is Shiner today. When the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway came to the area in 1887 it bypassed Half Moon and instead built through land owned by Henry B. Shiner. who donated 250 acres for a right-of-way and depot. A town soon grew around the new railway. At first the community was called New Half Moon, but in 1888 its name was changed to Shiner and was incorporated in 1890 when the first mayor was elected. Czech and German immigrants became the dominant ethnic groups. The most important agricultural products are dairy and beef cattle, cotton, and corn. Shiner also has industries that manufacture wire, racks, dye, and tool plating.
Shiner is reported as the cleanest little city in the US and it certainly looked pretty clean to me. The most well known attraction of Shiner, which only has a population of around 2,300 people, is the brewery. That alone brings people into Shiner including businessmen who travel the route from San Antonio to Houston and find the time to stop by for a little sampling. We made a side trip from San Antonio to take a tour of the brewery (not a usual habit of mine but we had heard this one was interesting) and of course, do a little sampling ourselves, not to mention collect some Shiner Bock souvenirs.
© keeweechic 2001-2007 (copyright)
Shiner Bocktoberfest happens in October at the Spoetzl Brewery. more travel advice
Unfortunately you were not allowed to take photos inside. This brewhouse apparently was the last built of this caliber... more travel advice
keeweechic's Related Pages
Shiner Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Hometown!"
- "Keeweechic's Shiner"
- "Shiner - "the cleanest little city in texas" ..."
- "Basaic Shiner Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Shiner
- Hotels in Shiner
- Transportation in Shiner
- Nightlife in Shiner
- Restaurants in Shiner
- Warnings and Dangers in Shiner
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Shiner
- 12 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (67)
Have you been to Shiner?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Shiner
Photos in ShinerSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues