"Keeweechic's San Marcos" Top 5 Page for this destination San Marcos by keeweechic
San Marcos Travel Guide: 66 reviews and 60 photos
San Marcos lies in Hays County at the edge of the Hill Country. Studies have proven San Marcos to be one of the oldest continuously inhabited sites in North America. There is evidence of Native Americans living along the riverbanks from as far back as 12,000 years ago. Spanish explorers discovered the springs that form the river on Saint Mark's Day and named the river after the saint. Nearly 120 years later, the Spanish established a settlement named Villa San Marcos de Neve near present day San Marcos. It was chosen for a settlement in 1851.
The town has gone from a gristmill, sawmill and cotton farming town to quite a modern little city. The clear cold River evolves from mammoth springs within the town and is ranked among the world’s most fertile with over 100 species of underwater plants and species of aquatic life. Spring lake produces over 150 million gallons of water every day from 200 springs which come from deep within the Edwards Aquifer.
San Marcos is situated halfway between San Antonio and Austin. We drove down from Austin, visiting San Marcos and New Braunfels in a day.
© keeweechic 2001-2006 (copyright)
The old wooden timber floors and the soda bar with the homemade fudge in various flavours. They claim to have the ‘best... more travel advice
Austin is the capital of the state of Texas and is a beautiful city surrounded by hills, valleys and lakes which run... more travel advice
keeweechic's Related Pages
San Marcos Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Oldest Inhabited Spot in Northern Hemisphere?"
- "Keeweechic's San Marcos"
- "Not only for shopping..."
- "San Marcos, Tx"
- "San Marcos"
- "Bif's San Marcos List"
- "jan119's new San Marcos Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in San Marcos
- Hotels in San Marcos
- Transportation in San Marcos
- Nightlife in San Marcos
- Restaurants in San Marcos
- Shopping in San Marcos
- Warnings and Dangers in San Marcos
- See All...
Badges & Stats in San Marcos
- 14 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 39 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (67)
Have you been to San Marcos?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Marcos
Photos in San MarcosSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues