"Keeweechic's Pottsboro & Lake Texoma - TX" Pottsboro by keeweechic
Pottsboro Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 44 photos
Pottsboro - “The Gateway to Lake Texoma and The Striper Capital of the World"
Pottsboro’s began in 1876 with land donated for a town by a pioneer settler. The reason was to create a right-of-way for the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad so that it could extend its tracks west from Denison into the area. With the railroad came business and so the area began to grow from a railroad town and agricultural community to an extended area for industries and businesses in the cities of Sherman and Denison. Pottsboro sustained serious damage from major fires in 1892, 1923 and 1924 but the citizens rebuilt and the town prospered. The construction of Perrin Army Air Field and base during the 1940's stimulated the growth but the biggest change came with the arrival of the U.S. Army Corp of Engineers and the building of the Denison Dam which in turn created Lake Texoma.
Denison Dam is a 3 mile long structure which restrains 89,000 surface areas of water which provides North Texas and Southern Oklahoma with hydroelectric power. The project began in 1938 and was completed in 1944.
Lake Texoma which is the prime reason you would go to Pottsboro, is the 10th largest lake in the United States. It leads all Corps lakes west of the Mississippi River in recreational activities. The lake on the Red River is shared by Texas and Oklahoma and is widely recognised as a top fishing lake and one of the most popular recreation destinations in the Southwest. The lake area includes 2 wildlife refuges, 2 state parks, 54 U.S. Army Corps of Engineers-managed parks, 26 resorts, hundreds of campgrounds and a variety of excellent golf courses. Activities include power boating, power sailing, personal watercraft, water skiing and wind surfing. Lake Texoma has become a huge sailing centre based on the lake's size, depth and miles of sailing shoreline.
My fondest memory of all the wonderful trips to Pottsboro was of my dearest friend Mark. Mark was the most positive guy... more travel advice
To fish on Lake Texoma you must obtain a fishing licence. This can be bought at any area store for $7.50. As Lake Texoma... more travel advice
keeweechic's Related Pages
Pottsboro Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Pottsboro
- Hotels in Pottsboro
- Transportation in Pottsboro
- Restaurants in Pottsboro
- Shopping in Pottsboro
- Warnings and Dangers in Pottsboro
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Pottsboro
- 26 Reviews
- 44 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (68)
Have you been to Pottsboro?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pottsboro
Photos in PottsboroSee All Photos (44)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues