"Keeweechic's Plano" Top 5 Page for this destination Plano by keeweechic
Plano Travel Guide: 84 reviews and 154 photos
Plano has become one of the best places for businesses to set up their companies as well as families to live and work. It was named the 4th most ‘kid-friendly’ city in the US. The city was also named the 8th safest city in the US. Plano is only 20 miles north of downtown Dallas.
The history of Plano began in the early 1840’s with most of the pioneers originating from Kentucky and Tennessee who made their way to Collin County’s blackland prairie. Indian attacks delayed their settlement until 1844. In 1846 William Foreman bought land from Sanford Beck just north east of Plano and it was due to the families enterprise that Plano began. Many more people came to help form the community and mail service was established around 1850. The original name for the community was Fillmore which was rejected, then Foreman was suggested but this was declined by William. Plano was chosen because it was thought that the name in Spanish meant ‘plain’ which described the terrain around the area. This was approved and so began the community of Plano.
Plano has come a long way from the days of just raising livestock. Churches and schools were built and local businesses began to prosper. The fires in the business district of the 1880’s destroyed a lot of the original buildings but with determination, the reconstruction began and the old wooden buildings were replaced with modern brick ones and business continued to flourish. After the 1970’s, Plano became one of the fastest growing cities in Texas and in the U.S. Because of the meticulous planning and development, many professionals and executives began moving to the city. Large corporations have settled in the area and the growth has been amazing. The city still retains its charm and history in the old downtown area.
I stumbled across Amigos Imports after having lunch in the same area. I was looking for something small which was... more travel advice
The ambiance is very impressive. You enter through double doors and I don’t think are quite ready for the unique Palm... more travel advice
- See All Arbor Hills Nature Reserve
- See All Heritage Farmhouse Museum
- See All ArtCentre Theatre
keeweechic's Related Pages
Plano Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Corporate Headquarters"
- "Plano is home to the RICH and Famous."
- "Plain 'Ol Plano"
- "Keeweechic's Plano"
- "Balloon Capitol of Texas"
- "ladygolfer's new Plano Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Plano
- Hotels in Plano
- Transportation in Plano
- Nightlife in Plano
- Restaurants in Plano
- Shopping in Plano
- Warnings and Dangers in Plano
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Plano
- 42 Reviews
- 49 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (155)
Have you been to Plano?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Plano
Photos in PlanoSee All Photos (49)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues