"Keeweechic's Paris, TX" Paris by keeweechic
Paris Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 45 photos
Paris was originally known as Pinhook. The first recorded settlement in the area was in 1826 although some settlements were known to be around as early as 1824. The name changed and was named for Paris, France and was on the central national road of the Republic of Texas which ran through Paris to San Antonio from the Red River.
The area was originally a cattle and farming area. The Texas and Pacific railroad reached Paris in 1876 and other railroads later followed. In 1982, Paris was hit by a tornado which destroyed more than 1500 homes and left 3,000 homeless. Nearly $7 million was invested in renovating and updating the downtown area. Both in 1877 and in 1916 major fires almost totally destroyed the town. Rebuilding took place almost immediately both times.
Today Paris is the county seat of Lamar County. It has been voted "Best Public Plaza" by Texas Monthly and "Best Pit Stop" by a Cross-country Auto Race as well being named in 1998 as the "Best Small Town in Texas" by Kevin Heubusch in his book "The New Rating Guide to Life in America's Small Cities." Paris is also the official Crepe Myrtle Capital of Texas. If you visit in July or August you will understand why.
This was the baggage house for the T & P Depot. It has now turned into a restaurant (The Depot) with homestyle meals and... more travel advice
Paris was founded in the mid-1980’s but many of its historic buildings were lost in a fire that destroyed almost half of... more travel advice
keeweechic's Related Pages
Paris Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Paris, TX"
- "Jessie's Paris Page"
- "Basaic Paris Page"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Paris
- 22 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (68)
Have you been to Paris?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Paris
Photos in ParisSee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues