"Keeweechic's Palestine, TX" Top 5 Page for this destination Palestine by keeweechic
Palestine Travel Guide: 83 reviews and 120 photos
Palestine lies in Anderson County and is the county seat. The town was named after Daniel Parkers earlier home in Palestine, Illinois. In 1856 a brick courthouse was built. In time, small businesses were established around the square which were served by paddle-wheel steamers. During high water periods, the vessels used the Trinity River to Magnolia, the port for Palestine. In 1872 the International-Great Northern Railroad arrived and soon put an end to the local river trading. The railroad provided year round travel to the east, Houston and Laredo and rapidly changed the centre of the town when they constructed shops, switching yards, and offices nearly a mile to the west of the courthouse. To link the two areas a horse-drawn streetcar line was but that proved to be too costly, and the single car was sold to then developing city of Dallas. By the 1890s Palestine had a population of around 6,000. There were several schools, mills and gins, a fire department, two private banks, several churches including two reserved for African Americans. By 1914 the population had increased to 11,000.
In 1928 oil was discovered at Boggy Creek, just east of Palestine. This helped to expand Palestine's economy and also carry the town through the Great Depression. When several producing fields were found later in Anderson County, Palestine became a centre for oil-well overhauling and supplies.
In 1990 Palestine had 400 recorded businesses which included gas and oil producers, well services, a beef packing plant, the railroad and other small businesses. here were also four state prisons in the county. Palestine is also the site of the National Scientific Balloon Flight Facility which is an operation of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration.
Palestine has an abundance of historical building and homes, over 1800 in all and second only to Galveston. Davey Dogwood Park is alive with colour in Spring with the flowering of the Dogwoods.
Other attractions around Palestine are the Engeling Wildlife Management Area which is in the northern part of the county. Lake Palestine, is a reservoir of 25,500 surface acres on the Neches River which provides the county with water.
More in my Travelogues
The nations longest and skinniest state park is the Texas State Railroad which is over 25 miles long and the width of... more travel advice
By Car : If you are traveling from Dallas you can take I-45 south through Ennis to Corsicana, then take US-287 into... more travel advice
keeweechic's Related Pages
Palestine Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Palestine, TX"
- "Basaic Palestine Page"
- "Palestine, Texas"
- "Palestine History"
- "jkwcrw's new Palestine Page"
- "cuteboy's new Palestine Page"
- "bill500's new Palestine Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Palestine
- Hotels in Palestine
- Transportation in Palestine
- Nightlife in Palestine
- Restaurants in Palestine
- Shopping in Palestine
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Palestine
- 61 Reviews
- 86 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (154)
Have you been to Palestine?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Palestine
Photos in PalestineSee All Photos (86)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues