"Keeweechic's Mineola" Mineola by keeweechic
Mineola Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 62 photos
Mineola lies in the East Texas Piney Woods area, around 80 miles east of Dallas in Wood County. The area was originally called Sodom. The town was first established in the 1840's which most of its settlers coming from the southern states of the US. The Northern and Texas Pacific Railroads entered the area in 1873 followed by the MKT in 1881 which made Mineola important in the areas commerce. A post office followed a couple of years later and the town was incorporated in 1877. Unfortunately during the 1880's, a fire destroyed 18 buildings in the town and the town began to rebuild. By 1890 there were several schools including a black free school, banks, hotels, 7 churches and the population had grown to 2,000.
This area was also the heart of the East Texas timber belt and the railroad made good use of it for tiemaking and lumber. Farm products included cotton, fruit and berries and livestock during the early years and a chair factory was opened in 1886. In 1900, this factory was turned into a crate and basket factory and continued to operate through until 1952. The opening of the Magnolia Pipeline Company gas line helped with the growth of the town during the 1920's.
Mineola is known as the 'Gateway to the Lake Country'. There are many lakes in the surrounding areas providing good fishing and recreational activities. The area also has some good pottery stores. There are a lot of good local craftsmen, artists. Musicians, writers and other artists in the area.
The downtown area is part of the Main Street program. You will find the streets lined with period lamp posts and ornate architectural detail on the old buildings. There are many lovely old historic homes in the town also which go back to the prosperous heyday of the early railroad days in Mineola. Most have been carefully restored to bring back those early times.
Mineola is also known as the 'Birding Capital of East Texas'.
Noble Willingham who appeared in more than 30 films including Ace Ventura: Pet Detective, Good Morning, Vietnam, and... more travel advice
On the 3rd Saturday in October, there is the Heritage Arts Festival. There are demonstrations of skills, crafts and the... more travel advice
- See All By Rail
- See All Trash Bins
- See All Mineola Country Club
- See All The Lott Cottage
keeweechic's Related Pages
Mineola Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Mineola
- Hotels in Mineola
- Transportation in Mineola
- Nightlife in Mineola
- Restaurants in Mineola
- Shopping in Mineola
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mineola
- 45 Reviews
- 62 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (67)
Have you been to Mineola?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mineola
Photos in MineolaSee All Photos (62)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues