"Keeweechic's Jefferson" Top 5 Page for this destination Jefferson by keeweechic
Jefferson Travel Guide: 82 reviews and 173 photos
Jefferson is located in Marion County in northeast section of Texas. It is the most delightful little historic town of with a population of just over 2,100. Most of the 10,000 Marion County residents live in rural areas which is made up of agriculture with livestock and forestry. Fishing, camping, and tourism in the Lake O' the Pines and Caddo Lake areas. Caddo Lake is Texas' only natural lake.
In 1845 Jefferson was established as being a bustling river port upstream from New Orleans. It was visited by steamboats loaded with people migrating westward into Texas. The steamboats travelled up the Red River, crossed westward beyond Caddo Lake into Big Cypress Bayou, and docked at the furthest reach upstream where covered wagons were built and readied for travel. The return journey was loaded with bales of ginned cotton and carried back downstream to New Orleans. After the Civil War, Jefferson's population boomed to 35,000 due to heavy commerce. Southern mansions and plantations around the area were common. At one point Jefferson, Texas, had a population of 66,000 when Dallas was still an Indian trading post. However, after the boom prosperity ended when an important log jam that kept water levels backed high was demolished on the Red River in 1873. The river channel which ran across Caddo Lake and up to Jefferson became too shallow and unreliable for the steamboats to travel. With its vital travel, shipping, and trade route ruined, Jefferson was in an economic stranglehold. The population drastically fell to less than 3,000 and the community was left with the remnants of many old mansions and homes which typified the Civil War era.
I visited Jefferson briefly one afternoon last year enroute to Marshall and was given enough temptation to want to go back and see more. Even after another trip, there is still more in the area to see. A nice idea would be a weekend at one of the lovely historic B&B's and just wander around the delightful shops and do as we did, and take a cruise out on Caddo River/Bayou and Lake at nearby Uncertain.
(c) keeweechic 2001- 2006 (copyright)
The side wall of the Museum - During its heyday in the 1860's and 1870's, Jefferson was the gateway to Texas from the... more travel advice
This was a former Federal building and was completed in 1888. It housed the Federal Court and Post Office until it was... more travel advice
keeweechic's Related Pages
Jefferson Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Jefferson-Antiques, B&B's, Mardi Gras & Home Tour"
- "Basaic Jefferson Page"
- "One of my favorite towns"
- "Historic Jefferson was FUN."
- "Keeweechic's Jefferson"
- "Jefferson - Great Weekend Getaway"
- "Jefferson Texas"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Jefferson
- Hotels in Jefferson
- Transportation in Jefferson
- Nightlife in Jefferson
- Restaurants in Jefferson
- Shopping in Jefferson
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Jefferson
- 23 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (154)
Have you been to Jefferson?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jefferson
Photos in JeffersonSee All Photos (31)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues