"Keeweechic's Irving" Top 5 Page for this destination Irving by keeweechic
Irving Travel Guide: 66 reviews and 146 photos
Early communities in the area were Sowers, Kit Shady Grove, Union Bower and Beer Creek to name just a few. These all sprang up in the last half of the 1800s. Irving was founded in 1903 and eventually incorporated most of these settlements. The two guys who founded Irving where employed by the Chicago, Rock Island and Gulf Railway as surveyors and decided this area would be an ideal town site. They bought 80 acres and began selling town lots at a public auction in 1903.
Irving was a cotton growing region along with truck farming, dairy farming, and poultry production. Farmers often sold their harvests in Dallas. Despite the depression of the 1930s, Irving prospered. In 1939, Irving hired its first full-time employee, Town Secretary C.C. Anderson, who kept records, measured and collected water revenues, and served as custodian of all the city buildings.
The well known Dallas Cowboys football team is found in Irving. Their stadium was funded by revenue bonds of the city.
The Dallas/Fort Worth Regional Airport lies partially within the boundaries of Irving. It is the countries largest airport. Revenue from the airport has help support Irvings economy. In the 1980s Irving built an arts centre and a new central library.
Las Colinas is a planned community within Irving. Las Colinas isn't a city, but rather the geographical centre of the city. There are more than 1,000 corporations there as well as schools, homes, shopping areas and recreation facilities.
The studios now offer a unique party facility. The setting is in a working movie studio location, combined with the... more travel advice
The Heritage House was built in 1912 and is one of Irving's oldest homes. An early player piano has recently been... more travel advice
keeweechic's Related Pages
Irving Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Irving, Texas--A Charming Community"
- "The Mustangs of Los Colinas"
- "Keeweechic's Irving"
- "Irving, Texas"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Irving
- Hotels in Irving
- Transportation in Irving
- Restaurants in Irving
- Warnings and Dangers in Irving
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Irving
- 32 Reviews
- 46 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (67)
Have you been to Irving?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Irving
Photos in IrvingSee All Photos (46)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues