"Keeweechic's Grand Prairie" Grand Prairie by keeweechic
Grand Prairie Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 42 photos
Grand Prairie was originally known as Dechman back in 1863 after a local trader from Birdville Texas, Alexander McRae Dechman. He purchased land on the east side of the Trinity River in 1861 by trading oxen and wagons. He also bought timberland on the west side of the river with $200 in Confederate money, as well as a broken down wagon and oxen team. After returning to Birdville, he joined the Civil War in 1861 and returned there for two years before selling that farm and moving to Houston, then Bryan. In 1863 Dechman filed a town plan in Dechman which consisted of 50 acres within the Dallas County. A post office was opened in 1874 with an incorrect spelling of Deckman. The Post Office couldn't read the writing on the form. In 1877 the T&P Railroad traded with Dechman for half his prairie property in order to bring a railroad into the town.
In 1877 the name of the town changed to Grand Prairie and in 1890 Dechman sold the last of his land and moved to Waxahachie. When he died, he was buried in historic Greenwood Cemetery in Dallas. Grand Prairie was incorporated as a city in 1909.
Today Grand Prairie covers 80 square miles between Dallas and Ft Worth with a population of around 134,000 residents. Some of the attractions in the area are Lone Star Park (racing), Ripleys Believe it or Not, Joe Pool Lake, Trader's Village and McFalls Park which features the Goodwin log cabin which was said to be a hideout of Bonnie and Clyde Parker.
There is a restriction to fishing on Joe Pool Lake. You are allowed 3 largemouth bass under 14 inches or over 21 inches.... more travel advice
This building was designed after King George IV's Royal Pavilion in Brighton - his seaside home. The Ripley... more travel advice
keeweechic's Related Pages
Grand Prairie Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Grand Prairie"
- "Grand Prairie"
- "Grand Prairie, Texas, USA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Grand Prairie
- Transportation in Grand Prairie
- Restaurants in Grand Prairie
- Shopping in Grand Prairie
- Warnings and Dangers in Grand Prairie
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Grand Prairie
- 22 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (66)
Have you been to Grand Prairie?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Grand Prairie
Photos in Grand PrairieSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues