"Keeweechic's Granbury" Top 5 Page for this destination Granbury by keeweechic
Granbury Travel Guide: 131 reviews and 194 photos
Granbury is an excellent little town to visit, full of history and legend and wonderfully restored architecture. It has been billed as the town "Where Texas History Lives". Granbury is the county seat of Hood County. The town was named after Gen. Hiram Bronson Granbury who led Confederate troops from this area into battle during the Civil War. Before the town was formed, this area was virtually a no mans land where a number of Indian tribes lived. In the early years of Granbury there were at least seven saloons on the town square. It was a rough and wild time. When the railway came through Granbury in 1887, this brought about the construction of many buildings which were mostly two story and built of limestone.
The first place to be listed on the National Register of Historic Places was the Square around the courthouse. Since then, many other projects all over American have been modelled on their restoration efforts. There is still an old fashioned drive-in movie theatre which show first run movies over the summer weekends. Many of the wonderful old homes in Granbury are now B & B's making Granbury a popular "get away from it all" destination especially as many of them are set on Lake Granbury. The lake was formed from a dam being built across the Brazos River at De Cordova Bend.
There are many legends and stories about Granbury - of Jesse James, Davy Crockett and John Wilkes Booth. Sightseeing around the Granbury area is also popular with many places just a short drive away.
(c) keeweechic 2001 - 2006 (copyright)
This restaurant is upstairs with a fine dining ambiance while downstairs is the Bistro which serves a lighter menu with... more travel advice
Another legend of a Granbury man who loved to quote Shakespeare. Many believe the John St Helen that lived in Granbury... more travel advice
keeweechic's Related Pages
Granbury Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Granbury--A Genteel Place With Loads of Grace"
- "Basaic Granbury Page"
- "Keeweechic's Granbury"
- "Granbury - Texas town rich in history!"
- "Close to Dallas/Fort Worth"
- "tubascoot's new Granbury Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Granbury
- Hotels in Granbury
- Transportation in Granbury
- Nightlife in Granbury
- Restaurants in Granbury
- Shopping in Granbury
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Granbury
- 64 Reviews
- 81 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Granbury?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Granbury
Photos in GranburySee All Photos (81)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues