"Keeweechic's Gonzales" Gonzales by keeweechic
Gonzales Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 25 photos
Gonzales is often called the “Lexington of Texas” because the first shot of the Texas Revolution was fired there which began the history and independence of Texas. It was also the only town to send reinforcements to the Alamo (a little known fact) and in return, the town was burned to the ground in the ‘Runaway Scrape”. It has also survived floods and fires and survived to become a Mecca for ranchers and cattle barons who built cotton plantations and grand homes along beautiful tree lined streets. Originally settled in 1825 by an American from Missouri and named for Rafael Gonzales who was Governor of joint state of Coahuila, Mexico and Texas. It was the capital of Empresario Green DeWitt’s Colony and was the westernmost Anglo settlement until the close of the Texas Revolution. The town was designed by the Mexican Government and all the streets were named after Saints.
Gonzales is the county seat of Gonzales County in the north central part of Texas and is the only town of its size to retain its name from Spanish rule and the only town in Texas that retains the original Mexican survey of 1832. There is an Historical Trail you can drive which passes 86 historical points of interest (the trail is marked “come and get it”). There is Noah’s Land of Texas, which is a park of some 275 acres which is home to more than 110 species of rare and exotic animals from around the world. Aside from 2 other parks, you can also take a drive just outside of Gonzales and view the battlefield.
And it was a fighting uniform."
Gonzales was part of a day trip from San Antonio to Shiner. We had to pass through it on our way back but even a detour would have been worth the stop. We didn’t spend long but we did take a short drive around to see some of the lovely homes that have been restored.
The Amphitheatre is on the backside of the museum. more travel advice
The Guadeloupe River is one of two rivers that run through Gonzales County, the other being the San Marcos River. The... more travel advice
keeweechic's Related Pages
Gonzales Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Gonzales"
- "the Lexington of Texas"
- "Lake Wood Park"
- "Basaic Gonzales Page"
- "chriseska's new Gonzales Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gonzales
- Hotels in Gonzales
- Transportation in Gonzales
- Restaurants in Gonzales
- Shopping in Gonzales
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gonzales
- 18 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (154)
Have you been to Gonzales?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gonzales
Photos in GonzalesSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues