"Keeweechic's Glen Rose" Glen Rose by keeweechic
Glen Rose Travel Guide: 112 reviews and 151 photos
Glen Rose is the county seat of Somervell County which was established in 1875 and named for General Alexander Somervell. The General took an active part in the Texas Revolution and was later a senator in the first Texas Congress. The early days of Glen Rose was as a trading post right on the Paluxy River. The town got its name for a small glen of wild roses that were growing there. During the 1920's and 30's Glen Rose became a popular health resort because of the sulphur water that flowed from wells.
With its location at the edge of the Hill Country, the woods around the town provided convenient hiding places for the consumption of alcohol during the time of Prohibition. The Moonshine business prospered helping to make Glen Rose known as the 'Whiskey Woods Capital' of Texas.
In the 1930s, dinosaur tracks were uncovered by the formation of the Paluxy River. Paleontologists excavated the sites and found 3 identifying tracks - the Theropod, Sauropod and Pleurocoleus dinosaurs. The Sauropod tracks were the first of their kind to be recognised. The better specimens at that time were unfortunate taken away to a Museum. It is now in the hands of the American Museum of Natural History in New York. In the early 1970's Glen Rose's future suddenly changed with the installation of a nuclear power plant just 5 miles north of the town. This brought about sudden jobs and revenue not to mention a railway.
Today there are several places of interest in Glen Rose. Dinosaur Valley State Park where you can view some of the dinosaur tracks still in the bed of the Paluxy River. Fossil Rim Wildlife Center - a great natural setting park for endangered animals and birds which you can drive around and get close to the animals. The town is also famous for The Promise - a historical but contemporary re-enactment of the life of Jesus of Nazareth which is performed by a cast of 80 in an open-air Texas Amphitheatre on Friday and Saturday nights from June to October.
More in my Travelogues
The Dinosaur tracks were formed 100,000,000 years ago in this area. For years following their discovery (about 1910),... more travel advice
Chalk Mountain is a ghost town some 12 miles west of Glen Rose. The main attractions there seem to be the cemetery which... more travel advice
- See All Bluegrass Happenings
- See All Home Grown Country
- See All To Fossil Rim
- Didn't See Much Nightlife Downtown
Written Dec 25, 2007
Fossil Rim Wildlife Center
Written Dec 25, 2007
Downtown Glen Rose
keeweechic's Related Pages
Glen Rose Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Glen Rose"
- "The Dinosaurs of Glen Rose"
- "An Animal Heritage"
- "Basaic Glen Rose Page"
- "Gene's Glen Rose Page"
- "Vibroverb's Glen Rose"
- "Dinosaurs in Texas?!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Glen Rose
- Hotels in Glen Rose
- Transportation in Glen Rose
- Nightlife in Glen Rose
- Restaurants in Glen Rose
- Shopping in Glen Rose
- Warnings and Dangers in Glen Rose
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Glen Rose
- 78 Reviews
- 97 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (155)
Have you been to Glen Rose?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Glen Rose
Photos in Glen RoseSee All Photos (97)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues