"Keeweechic's Georgetown" Georgetown by keeweechic
Georgetown Travel Guide: 56 reviews and 182 photos
Georgetown is in the centre of Williamson County, about 26 miles north of Austin. Named after George Glasscock who, with his partner, donated land for the site. Pioneers were drawn to the area by the abundance of timber and good, clear water. The Tonkawa Indians already had established a village there. The land was also inexpensive and extremely fertile. First settlers in the area were from Tennessee, Kentucky, North Carolina, Illinois, Arkansas as well as other states. By the 1850's Swedish settlers arrived following in 1890 by the Germans, Austrians and Swiss than later by the Czech.
Southwestern University established itself in 1873 and construction of a railroad began in 1878 which contributed to the town's growth and importance. The cattle trail (Chisholm Trail) was also led through the heart of the town. Cotton production became dominant in the area from the 1880s to the 1920s. Georgetown is known as the Red Poppy Capital of Texas. The flowers came to Georgetown almost 80 years ago when a WWI soldier fighting in Europe sent his mother in Georgetown a packet of red poppy seeds from Flanders Field. She planted them and the seeds have propagated over the years.
Driving up from Austin I saw the dome of the county courthouse and the spire of the University from the freeway, so we decided to pull off and find out what it was all about. The town square was a made up of a delightful mix of shops, restaurants and cafes. There was even some filming going on outside the little cafe (for what, I'm not sure). There is also the Inner Space Cavern - Georgetown's most popular attraction which is a cave that was discovered in 1963 when drilling crew working on an Interstate Highway 35 drilled into one of the large rooms of the cavern which is over 80,000 years in the making. Remains of the Ice Age Mastodons, wolves and sabre-tooth cats have been found within the eroded limestone structure. We didn't have time to check it out but if you have the time, I'm sure it would be worth it. It was certainly worth breaking the journey and its amazing what you find when you go 'off the beaten track'.
The Visitor Centre is a good place to start. They have heaps of brochures not only on Georgetown but also surrounding towns and cities. There is an old couple there which take care of the centre who are just a delight. We were told a delightful story of how they knew each other when they were young and went their different ways and married. 50 years later they finally got back together and got married.
Southwestern University's campus has been called one of Texas' most beautiful and best-planned college facilities. The... more travel advice
Austin is located just 26 miles south of Georgetown on Inerstate 35 and is the capital of the state of Texas. Austin has... more travel advice
keeweechic's Related Pages
Georgetown Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Georgetown--Historic District, B&B's & University"
- "JUST AT THE EDGE OF THE AUSTIN HUSTLE & BUSTLE"
- "Keeweechic's Georgetown"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Georgetown
- Hotels in Georgetown
- Restaurants in Georgetown
- Shopping in Georgetown
- Warnings and Dangers in Georgetown
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Georgetown
- 8 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (154)
Have you been to Georgetown?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Georgetown
Photos in GeorgetownSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues