"Keeweechic's Fort Worth" Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth by keeweechic
Fort Worth Travel Guide: 911 reviews and 1,916 photos
Fort Worth lies within Tarrant County, which is one of the fastest growing urban counties in the United States today. They say Fort Worth is the city where the 'West' begins, it is "Cowtown, USA" and Dallas's younger sister. While Dallas is more glamour and glitz, Fort Worth has a certain sophistication of all its own with its wonderful art museums, performing arts centre and parks which is second in total acreage only to Chicago. In 1989 Newsweek named Fort Worth as "One of America's Best Places to Live and Work". With a population at less than half of Dallas, the city has a decidedly small town feel, more comfortable and easy going and showing a feel of history that Dallas does not seem to have. They have done a wonderful job of preserving the character and the past of the city.
Fort Worth developed a 'rough-and-rowdy' reputation in its early years when it was settled in 1849 as an Army outpost on the fork of the Trinity River. It was one of eight different posts in Texas designated to protect settlers from Indian attacks. As this thriving town became the last major stop on the legendary Chisholm Trail, it also became home to settlers and soldiers, cattle drovers and outlaws who lived it up in the legendary "Hell's Half Acre." The arrival of the railroad in the later 1800s transformed Fort Worth into a major shipping centre for livestock and meat packing companies were formed eventually making Fort Worth the second largest livestock market in the country. Vast oil fields were discovered in West Texas and Fort Worth's importance grew as the last big commercial centre before the prairie. It was in here that deals were made and drilling supplies were purchased. Immediately you feel a deep sense of these western roots, especially around the Stockyard Historical District. Its all "Yee Ha" and you "Y'all come back now soon!" ...
- Pros:Love Visiting Fort Worth - so much to see and do, Great Atmosphere
This old building on Automobile Row is one of the few remaining buildings. Built in 1930 it was restored in 1999 and... more travel advice
This isn’t all just done for fun, there is a prize involved. The first place overall winner of the chuck wagon cooking... more travel advice
- See All Meacham International Airport
- See All Uniquely Styled
- See All Western Wear
- See All IRVING
- See All Japanese Gardens
keeweechic's Related Pages
Fort Worth Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Fort Worth"
- "FORT WORTH"
- "Ft. Worth--Historic Stockyards, Art & Sundance Sq."
- "Sweetberry's Ft. Worth Page"
- "The Real Texas"
- "Texas Cow Town"
- "Dallas-Fort Worth"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fort Worth
- Hotels in Fort Worth
- Transportation in Fort Worth
- Nightlife in Fort Worth
- Restaurants in Fort Worth
- Shopping in Fort Worth
- Warnings and Dangers in Fort Worth
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fort Worth
- 223 Reviews
- 348 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 51 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (155)
Have you been to Fort Worth?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fort Worth
Photos in Fort WorthSee All Photos (348)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues