"Keeweechic's Denton" Top 5 Page for this destination Denton by keeweechic
Denton Travel Guide: 90 reviews and 209 photos
Denton is the county seat of Denton County and was established in 1857 when early settlers who first settled in various areas of the county, wanted the county seat right in the middle of the county. Land was donated for the town which was named like the county after John B. Denton, a pioneer lawyer, preacher and soldier. Denton was killed during an Indian skirmish at Village Creek in 1841Growth in Denton was slow. In 1870 there were 361 residents, 32 of whom were black. The population increased to 2558 in 1890 when the Texas and Pacific Railway from Sherman to Fort Worth and the Missouri, Kansas and Texas railroad to Dallas brought a rail outlet to the town, although this only brought a north south rail connection and so did not develop as a manufacturing and wholesale centre.
It was a centre for agricultural trade and there were flour mills and cottonseed oil mills along with small cottage industries. After 1890 Denton then became a college town when the North Texas Normal College (now the University of North Texas) was established and then later in 1903 when the Girls’ Industrial College (now Texas Woman’s University) was established. TWU is the largest university for women in the nation.
The Federal Civil Defence Administration’s regional office moved to Denton from Dallas in 1954 and constructed a large underground shelter. It was the only FCDA underground shelter around at that time and was designated as the place from which the President of the United States along with other federal officials could go and direct the country from in case of an attack.
Denton has many large manufacturing companies making their base there such as Victor Equipment, Peterbilt and other small light industrial businesses. With the opening of the Dallas/Ft Worth international airport, many airline employers took up residence in South Denton and the population has grown to close to 90,000.
Andy's is located on the Square. They have a band playing upstairs or you can hang out in the basement. There are daily... more travel advice
The marina at Lake Dallas has a new dock. It is open 6 days a week: 8:30 am-12:00 pm and 1:00 pm- 5:00 pm. All lakes in... more travel advice
keeweechic's Related Pages
Denton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Denton"
- "North Dallas Party Town!"
- "Small town Big Courthouse"
- "Denton, Texas"
- "County Seat of Denton County, TX"
- "Old Fashioned Courthouse Square"
- "Denton Texas (near Dallas/Ft. Worth)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Denton
- Hotels in Denton
- Transportation in Denton
- Nightlife in Denton
- Restaurants in Denton
- Shopping in Denton
- Warnings and Dangers in Denton
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Denton
- 41 Reviews
- 61 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Denton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Denton
Photos in DentonSee All Photos (61)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues