Dallas Things to Do Tips by keeweechic Top 5 Page for this destination
Dallas Things to Do: 448 reviews and 690 photos
The Aquarium educational opportunities for all ages to be able to see and learn more about the feeding and habitats of some of the species featured at the Aquarium. Various programs have been developed depending on age groups.
Address: 1462 First Ave & Martin Luther King Jr Blvd
Directions: Fair Park Grounds, next to the Aquarium.
The Planetarium side of the Science Place is in a separate building and is known as Science Place II, a 1936 Art Deco building. Various programs are going on at the Planetarium and you need to check at the time of your visit. The Public Planetarium shows are only be available on weekends.
Open: Tuesday - Friday 9:30am - 4:30pm; Saturday 9:30am - 5:30pm; Sunday 11:30am - 5:30pm.
Also in the same building is WRR FM101 which is Texas' first commercial radio station and the second.
Address: 1620 1st Ave, Dallas
Directions: Fair Park Grounds.
Sixth Floor Museum (Old Texas School Book Depository). The museum opened 26 years after the assassination of President John F. Kennedy in Dallas, the museum documents the events that took place on November 22, 1963 on which JFK was shot. It is housed on the 6th floor in the former Texas School Book Depository Building where Lee Harvey Oswald was said to have fired the shots, and the corner of the room where he supposedly stood is just as it was that day except the window is closed.
The window area has been re-created behind a wall of glass. There are photos and videos showing various aspects of Kennedy's presidency and an audio tour. EarthCam has positioned an Internet camera in the southeast window on the sixth floor of the former Texas School Book Depository in Dallas.
Open 9.00am - 6.00pm every day.
Address: Dealy Plaza, 411 Elm Street, Dallas.
The Museum was founded in 1965 by Algur H. Meadows for the purpose of display and study of Spanish art. The museum has expanded a great deal since then. The original collection of Spanish art, the Meadows Museum Collection, includes over 500 works which span from the 10th through the 20th century. It is believed to be one of the finest collections of Spanish art in the world.
Monday, Tuesday, Friday, Saturday - 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Thursday - 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Sunday - 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Wednesday and Major Holidays - Closed
Address: SMU Campus, 6425 Boaz Lane
Dealey Plaza is the site of the Kennedy assassination. An 'X' on the road marks where the President was shot and a plaque was placed beside the footpath.
The Dallas Convention Centre is like everything else in Texas – big. It features the world’s largest column-free exhibit hall at a size of 203,000 sq ft with a ceiling height of 40ft. Dallas is a big convention centre and more than 3.8 million people come here to attend some 3,600 conventions.
Address: 650 S. Griffin St. Dallas
Old City Park is set on 13 acres of wooded landscape and has been set up like a village to display Victorian era homes and businesses. There are over 30 historic & reconstructed structures such as a doctors and dentist office, print shop, bank, law office, farmhouse, general store, hotel and various other homes and buildings. The setting is quite a contrast to the back drop of the city skyline. It is quite a unique museum depicting life as it was in the years between 1840 and 1910.
This building was built in the community of Renner which is now part of North Texas. Built in 1888 it was a school until 1919. This style was typical of the schools, meeting houses and Masonic lodges which were built across the South during the 19th century.
Open year round Tuesday through Saturday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Sunday noon to 4 p.m. Guided tours are 1 hour in length.
More in my Travelogue.
Address: 1717 Gano Street, Dallas
There are many pieces of religious art which represent religions such as Buddhism, Confucianism, Hinduism and Jainism
Address: Crowe Gallery
On the east end of downtown is the Harwood Street historic commercial district. There is a variety of architecture here from the 1880's to the 1950's, with styles ranging from Italianate to Beaux-arts, Sullivanesque, Neo-classical Revival, Renaissance Revival, Art Moderne and Art Deco.
Scottish Rite Temple
The temple is on the National registry. It is a Neo-Classical Revival design with Corinthian columns and a large portico. Build in 1913 it is the first and permanent home of the Scottish Rite Freemasonry in Dallas.
Address: 500 Harwood Street
The Majestic Theatre was built it 1921 and in its day, hosted a variety of acts from Houdini to Mae West and Bob Hope. When talking pictures came about, the Majestic Theatre began screening movie premieres with stars such as Jimmy Stewart, Gregory Peck and John Wayne.
The 'Big Bands' provided live entertainment at the Majestic. In 1976, the owner of the Theatre turned the theatre over to the City of Dallas and extensive restoration began. The Majestic Theater was named to the National Register of Historic Places and re-opened on January 28, 1983.
Address: 1925 Elm Street, Dallas
More Reviews (116)
- See All Ramada Plaza Downtwn
- See All Inside the Tepee
- See All Irving
- See All Red River Shootout
- See All Unsafe Areas and The Homeless
- See All Sonny Bryans Smokehouse BBQ
keeweechic's Related Pages
Dallas Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Dallas"
- "Dallas,Texas--Big, Bold and Friendly!!"
- "1997 Convention to 2006 Frisco grandchildren visit"
- "Goin' through the Big D and I mean Dallas!"
- "Dallas Texas"
- "Sweetberry's Dallas Page"
- "btex's Dallas Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dallas
- Hotels in Dallas
- Transportation in Dallas
- Nightlife in Dallas
- Restaurants in Dallas
- Shopping in Dallas
- Warnings and Dangers in Dallas
- See All...
Explore the World
- South Carolina
- Little Italy Hotels
- Redding Hotels
- North Las Vegas Hotels
- La Paz Hotels
Badges & Stats in Dallas
- 238 Reviews
- 512 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 132 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (68)
Have you been to Dallas?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dallas
Photos in DallasSee All Photos (512)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues
Latest Dallas hotel reviews
- West End Hotel Dallas
- 429 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 12, 2013
- Hotel Indigo Dallas Downtown
- 380 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Hawthorn Suites Dallas Market Center
- 204 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 10, 2013
- Hyatt Summerfield Suites Lincoln Park
- 126 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 17, 2013
- Sheraton Dallas Hotel
- 1206 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 10, 2013
- Rosewood Crescent Court
- 188 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- The Westin Galleria Dallas
- 432 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Hotel St. Germain
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 16, 2013
- Country Inn & Suites Park Central
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 5, 2013
- Executive Inn Dallas
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Hilton Anatole
- 1013 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Le Meridien Dallas North
- 389 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 12, 2013
- The Guest Lodge at Cooper Aerobics Center
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 26, 2013
- Hyatt Regency Dallas
- 780 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 11, 2013
- The Westin City Center
- 184 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Reunion Tower- 17 Reviews, 25 Photos
- Dealey Plaza Dedication- 60 Reviews, 64 Photos
- Downtown- 27 Reviews, 47 Photos
- Southfork Ranch- 11 Reviews, 20 Photos
- Pioneer Plaza- 17 Reviews, 28 Photos
- Fair Park- 39 Reviews, 68 Photos
- World Aquarium- 12 Reviews, 25 Photos
- Botanical Garden- 14 Reviews, 43 Photos
- Historical Swiss Avenue- 6 Reviews, 11 Photos
- Nasher Sculpture Center- 16 Reviews, 21 Photos
See All Dallas Things to Do