"Keeweechic's Athens, TX" Athens by keeweechic
Athens Travel Guide: 47 reviews and 108 photos
Athens is 73 miles south east of Dallas and is the largest city and county seat of Henderson County. It was established in 1850 on just a one sq mile piece of land. They say that Athens ‘never moved a peg’ until 1900. There were no improvements to the square, roads or even the houses.. life went on as it did in the towns early days. The early years brought about industry such as a cotton gin, cottonseed oil mill, a compress, newspaper, pottery and brick plant and of course the Railway. Cotton was the major agricultural crop right up until the 1930’s. When the Great Depression struck, farmers then had to shift to livestock and vegetable production. In 1928 oil and gas exploration in the area began.
Indians inhabited the area during prehistoric times. Over time, fossil remains of extinct horses and camels have been unearthed as well as pottery and remnants of an aboriginal culture which existed along the Trinity River thousands of years ago. The first Europeans arrived in the sixteenth century. The Caddo Indians were living here at that time and had the highest cultural development of any Texas Indians. They were agriculturalists and were into raising vegetables, sunflowers and tobacco. Apparently the Spanish and French explorers described this tribe of Indians as friendly.
Athens became the known as the ‘Black-eyed Pea Capital of the World’
By Car : If you are travelling from Dallas you can take I-45 south through Ennis to Corsicana, then take Hwy 31 into... more travel advice
Corsicana is about 37 miles west of Athens on Hwy 31. Corsicana was known to have the first oil discovery west of the... more travel advice
keeweechic's Related Pages
Athens Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Stop by Athens on the Weekends"
- "Keeweechic's Athens, TX"
- "A great place to retire"
- "Basaic Athens Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Athens
- Hotels in Athens
- Transportation in Athens
- Restaurants in Athens
- Shopping in Athens
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Athens
- 33 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Athens?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Athens
Photos in AthensSee All Photos (42)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues
Latest Athens hotel reviews
- Spanish Trace Inn
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 13, 2013