"Keeweechic's Arlington" Top 5 Page for this destination Arlington by keeweechic
Arlington Travel Guide: 91 reviews and 91 photos
Arlington is centrally located between Dallas and Fort Worth and is the 3rd largest city in North Texas, with a population nearing 300,000. The city is known as the metroplex's "Entertainment Capital", and best known for the Arlington Ball Park (now called Ameriquest Field), the home of the Texas Rangers Baseball Club and Six Flags over Texas which celebrated its 40th Anniversary in 2001.
There are also other attractions like the Palace of Wax and Ripley's Believe It or Not!, River Legacy Living Science Center, Hurricane Harbor Waterpark, Traders Village, Festival Marketplace Mall amongst a few.
The first inhabitants in this area were American Indians, who according to archaeological evidence may have lived in the area as early as 5,000 B.C. At one time the Caddo tribe, who numbered up to 25,000, farmed and hunted in what is now West Arlington and also traded with the French, Spanish and Mexican traders for agricultural good and pottery. The first anglo residents arrived in 1840 with the construction of Bird's Fort by Major Jonathon Bird and the Texas Rangers. Later settlement included Johnson Station which was a stage stop and trading post near Marrow Bone Springs and which was authorised by Sam Houston to serve as a dividing line between settlers and the American Indian tribes who were being driven into the area by westward expansion. Problems soon arose between the white settlers and the tribes which resulted in the 1841 Battle of Village Creek. General Edward H. Tarrant led the assault of 69 volunteers upon the Caddo villages on Village Creek, burning 225 Indian lodges and pursuing the survivors northward. The tribes who had long inhabited the valley permanently abandoned their settlements after the battle.
The first train roared through the new Arlington on July 19, 1876, and on April 19, 1884, Arlington was incorporated as a city. Large-scale industrialisation began in 1954 with the arrival of a General Motors assembly plant. Automotive and aerospace development gave the city one of the nation's greatest population growth rates between 1950 and 1990.
The latest ride added in 2003 was the Superman Tower of Power which stands at 325ft and takes riders straight up,... more travel advice
Mr Freeze was a ride and a half. This is the tallest and fastest coaster in the southwest. You are launched from 0 to... more travel advice
keeweechic's Related Pages
Arlington Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Arlington"
- "Arlington, Texas, US"
- "Arlington, Texas"
- "A Short List of Things to Do near Dallas Metroplex"
- "when the goin' gets tough..well,u know the rest!"
- "First time in Arlington TX"
- "Always7696's new Arlington Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Arlington
- Hotels in Arlington
- Transportation in Arlington
- Nightlife in Arlington
- Restaurants in Arlington
- Warnings and Dangers in Arlington
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Arlington
- 23 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 29 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (154)
Have you been to Arlington?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Arlington
Photos in ArlingtonSee All Photos (36)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues