"Keeweechic's Durant" Durant by keeweechic
Durant Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 20 photos
Durant sits in south-central Oklahoma on the border of Texas, 150 miles south of Oklahoma City and only twelve miles from Lake Texoma, one of the largest man-made lakes in the United States. Durant is the seat of Bryan County and is known as the Magnolia Capital of the Oklahoma for its large number of magnolia trees which line the streets as well as those on the Southeastern Oklahoma State University campus. There is even an annual Magnolia Festival which is held the weekend following Memorial Day.
Southeastern Oklahoma State University (SOSU) has its home in Durant and also provides cultural activities for the city. The Aviation Department was one of the first in the country and is recognized as a leader in aviation. Durant is also home of the headquarters of the Choctaw Nation, the third largest Indian tribe in the United States. The Choctaw were the first ones to settle in this area after they were removed from Mississippi. They established several schools in the area during the mid to late 1800s.
Fort Washita is a 150-acre site which contains the well-preserved, partially restored remains of an American Indian fort built in 1842. The fort was used by the Choctaw and Chickasaw Indians for protection from the Plains Indians, as well as by pioneers travelling west. The Confederate Army last occupied the fort during the Civil War.
The Fairchilds Museum holds a collection of American Indian artwork which includes a 300-year-old doll collection, oil paintings, bronzes, beadwork and rugs. The Three Valley Museum also holds a lot of Choctaw Indian memorabilia.
Denison is located in Northeastern area of Texas in Grayson County which borders Oklahoma and Durant City. The most... more travel advice
Lake Texoma is only 12 miles from Durant and is the 10th largest lake in the United States. The lake on the Red River is... more travel advice
keeweechic's Related Pages
Durant Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Durant
- 15 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (67)
Have you been to Durant?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Durant
Photos in DurantSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues