"Keeweechic's Vicksburg" Top 5 Page for this destination Vicksburg by keeweechic
Vicksburg Travel Guide: 110 reviews and 236 photos
Mississippi River a large part in the overall development of Vicksburg which was founded in 1811. From 1825 the city rapidly grew as a center for commerce and agriculture. River Travel up and down the Mississippi had a history of danger with hundreds of riverboats running into trouble on their journeys. The remains of many were littered around the river bends and in 1838 Congress passed the first federal steamboat safety regulations. Because of these unsafe conditions, the railroads were able to make inroads into the lower Mississippi River regions and in 1831 the Vicksburg and Clinton Railroad was organized for the purpose of shipping and receiving cotton and other goods between the river port and inland Mississippi. The initial rail operations consisted of mule power but by 1840 the line was complete and by 1846 the track spanned the State making it the only east-west railroad between Memphis and New Orleans.
Vicksburg contributed greatly to American history in the role she played in the Civil War. It was the scene of a 47 day siege by Union troops under General Ulysses S. Grant who captured Vicksburg and marked a turning point in the war. There is a lot of monuments, markers and memorials which relate to this period.
Vicksburg is in Warren County, western Mississippi. It is largely situated on bluffs overlooking the Mississippi and Yazoo rivers. Today it is still a major river port and serves as a commercial and manufacturing centre for the surrounding cotton, timber, and livestock areas. Vicksburg is the site of a number of restored antebellum houses, such as Anchuca (1830) and The Galleries (1850), and the Old Court House Museum, featuring displays reflecting the city's southern heritage. The Vicksburg National Cemetery is the second largest national cemetery in the country. Arlington National Cemetery is the largest.
More in my Travelogues
The first place to visit is the Vicksburg Visitor Centre. Not only for the brochures and information, complimentary soda... more travel advice
In May, Confederate and Union soldiers camp on the grounds of historic McRaven Tour Home. Period demonstrations in... more travel advice
keeweechic's Related Pages
Vicksburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "vicksburg mississippi"
- "I can't imagine what war was like and sacrifices"
- "Vicksburg: Proud Past and Challenging Future 2014"
- "Keeweechic's Vicksburg"
- "Basaic Vicksburg Page"
- "Vicksburg, Mississippi"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vicksburg
- Hotels in Vicksburg
- Transportation in Vicksburg
- Nightlife in Vicksburg
- Restaurants in Vicksburg
- Shopping in Vicksburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Vicksburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vicksburg
- 30 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (155)
Have you been to Vicksburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vicksburg
Photos in VicksburgSee All Photos (36)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues