"Keeweechic's Port Gibson" Port Gibson by keeweechic
Port Gibson Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 42 photos
Union General U.S. Grant declared Port Gibson as "The town too beautiful to burn" during his drive to lay siege to Vicksburg. The city is a monument in itself to a prosperous time during the reign of King Cotton. There are many grand homes down tree lined streets and it is Mississippi's third oldest city.
Port Gibson lies in the Kudzu (vine) covered hills of Claiborne County, just off the Natchez Trace. If you are driving from Natchez to Vicksburg you will drive through it on US Route 61 which is a highway which runs through to Chicago and is the longest highway in the world. Port Gibson is only 45 miles from Jackson, Mississippi.
We were enroute from Natchez to Vicksburg. In Natchez I had seen a postcard of ruins in the area and on further investigation found information which said we could find them just off the Highway we were taking. They were a wonderful find and I'm glad we deviated to see them. We did pass through Pt Gibson township but didn't stop for any particular sightseeing so the ruins and the information on the ruins is pretty much all you will read here.
This little fella was taking careful note of how close I was getting - one more step forward and he disappeared at a... more travel advice
It is reported that the fire broke out on February 17 in 1890 when a house guess accidentally dropped a cigarette into... more travel advice
keeweechic's Related Pages
Port Gibson Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ruins near Port Gibson: Windsor and Rodney"
- "Port Gibson: Too Beautiful to Burn"
- "Keeweechic's Port Gibson"
- "Basaic Port Gibson Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Port Gibson
- Transportation in Port Gibson
- Restaurants in Port Gibson
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Port Gibson
- 10 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (67)
Have you been to Port Gibson?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Port Gibson
Photos in Port GibsonSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues