"Keeweechic's Pascagoula" Pascagoula by keeweechic
Pascagoula Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 20 photos
Pascagoula got its name from a band of peaceful Native Americans (Pascagoula means 'bread eaters') who first inhabited the area. Unfortunately they are now extinct after having drowned themselves chanting as they waded into the deepening river waters when they were about to be enslaved to the fierce Biloxi, the enemy. This sad event has resulted in Pascagoula also being known as the "Singing River" city by the sea.
Pascagoula has a rich history of being a European settlement dating back over 300 years when it was inhabited first by the Spanish, followed by the French and English settlers. This was the gathering place of nations who came here to trade, build or buy ships and has now become Mississippi's premier and busiest port. The states largest shipbuilding employer is here as well as other industries such as a Chevron refinery, First Chemical Corporation, BP/Amoco and Goldman Offshore just to name a few. The Pascagoula Naval Station is located on the Singing River Island and is the homeport to several Navy warships as well as a large Coast Guard contingent.
Mississippi's 8th largest city, Pascagoula is the County Seat of Jackson County. There are roughly 30,000 residents here.
There is a museum opposite which houses 18th century items and American Indian. Open year-round. Mon-Sat... more travel advice
On quiet summer evenings a mysterious yet beautifully haunting sound can be heard emanating from the waters of Singing... more travel advice
keeweechic's Related Pages
Pascagoula Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The quiet sister of Biloxi"
- "Keeweechic's Pascagoula"
- "pascagoula briefly"
- "wxfreqrs's new Pascagoula Page"
- "Basaic Pascagoula Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pascagoula
- Hotels in Pascagoula
- Transportation in Pascagoula
- Restaurants in Pascagoula
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pascagoula
- 11 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (154)
Have you been to Pascagoula?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pascagoula
Photos in PascagoulaSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues