"Keeweechic's Shreveport" Shreveport by keeweechic
Shreveport Travel Guide: 126 reviews and 210 photos
Shreveport was recognised and established as a town in 1839. It was named after Capt. Henry Miller Shreve who had been commission to come into the area and clear a 165 mile logjam that had formed along the Red River (which was known as the "Great Raft''). This opened up the river to allow more settlers, traders and steamboat traffic to move down. A lot of the first settlers were from the Carolinas and were mostly a blend of Scot-Irish, English, German and Welsh. Agriculture was the area's main earnings but the lumber industry and light manufacturing developed through the 1880's with the aid of railroads. In the early 1900's came an oil boom which then provided industrial and commercial expansion.
The smaller sister city, Bossier City, is located just across the Red River and had its beginnings in 1843 when General Pierre Evariste John Baptist Bossier (phew!) a famous Creole General, formed the parish across the Red River from Shreveport. He was significant in the development of transport in the area. The area was incorporated in 1907 and named Bossier City. The town became the home of Barksdale Air Force Base in 1933 and since that time has been one of the fastest growing cities in the state.
Shreveport and Bossier City are two of the South's most popular gaming spots with at least 5 casinos, that I know of. They are also home to many museums and is the cultural, convention and entertainment centre of Ark-La-Tex. If the great outdoors is more your line then you will find some great fishing in the lakes and rivers in the area.
There could be some truth to this story because in 1811 New Madrid, Missouri had an earthquake that measured 8.9 and... more travel advice
All Saints Church no particular reason for this other than we passed it on the way back from Natchitoches, on the... more travel advice
- See All Shreveport Bossier Tourist Bureau
- No Sales Tax
- Fishing in the Area
- Great Buffets at the Casinos
- See All Yearly Events
keeweechic's Related Pages
Shreveport Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "2 Days in SHREVEPORT"
- "Shreveport: The closest big city to my In-Laws!"
- "AFB, Cemeteries and Oil CIty"
- "Jumping Around Shreveport!"
- "Not just Gambling..."
- "Trip up Dorcheat Bayou w/Norris Canoe Outfitters"
- "Keeweechic's Shreveport"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Shreveport
- Hotels in Shreveport
- Transportation in Shreveport
- Nightlife in Shreveport
- Restaurants in Shreveport
- Shopping in Shreveport
- Warnings and Dangers in Shreveport
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Shreveport
- 34 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 44 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (68)
Have you been to Shreveport?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Shreveport
Photos in ShreveportSee All Photos (39)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (84)
Latest Shreveport hotel reviews
- Eldorado Resort Casino
- 201 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 16, 2013
- Holiday Inn Shreveport - Airport (Financial Plaza)
- 86 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 11, 2013
- Clarion Hotel Shreveport
- 87 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 20, 2013
- Pelican Inn Airport Hotel
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 31, 2012
- Holiday Inn Shreveport -I-20-Downtown
- 133 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 14, 2013
- Days Inn Shreveport
- 79 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 12, 2013
- Hampton Inn Shreveport Airport
- 96 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 8, 2013
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Shreveport West
- 44 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 16, 2013
- Candlewood Suites Shreveport
- 45 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 11, 2013
- Courtyard By Marriott Shreveport
- 35 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Holiday Inn Express Shreveport-Airport
- 52 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 29, 2013
- Motel 6 Shreveport
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 13, 2013