"Keeweechic's Natchitoches" Top 5 Page for this destination Natchitoches by keeweechic
Natchitoches Travel Guide: 80 reviews and 160 photos
Natchitoches was originally founded by the French somewhere around 1699 as an outpost on the Red River to trade with the Spanish in Mexico. Trading became successful with area Indians and so a trading post was established at the head of navigation on the Red River near a village of Natchitoches Indians. Natchitoches was established in 1714 and in 1803 the United States purchased the French province of Louisiana which stretched from the Mississippi River to the Rocky Mountains and from the Gulf of Mexico to Canada. People soon settled in large numbers in the Natchitoches area and several plantations were built along the river. In time, the river changed its course and bypassed Natchitoches. What was once known as the Red River is now Cane River Lake, a 30 mile body of water that runs from the City's downtown historic district through Plantation country.
Dotted around the parish are 18th and 19th century structures with some dating back as far as the American Revolution when Natchitoches was occupied by the Union army during the Civil War. Northwestern State Univ. of Louisiana and a U.S. fish hatchery are also there. Natchitoches (pronounced Nack-a-tish) is the largest town in the parish and is the oldest continually occupied settlement in the entire Louisiana Purchase Territory. It is actually older than New Orleans and was chosen as the location for the motion pictures 'Steel Magnolias', 'The Horse Soldiers' and 'Man in the Moon'.
They say that Natchitoches is all y'alls and sugars and big loving families with big wrap around porches.
Front Street is a pretty street running right along the river. There are some great shops along here as well as a hotel... more travel advice
Natchitoches was established in 1714 by Canadian Louis Juchereau de St. Denis where it became the westernmost French... more travel advice
keeweechic's Related Pages
Natchitoches Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lovely Old Town NATCHITOCHES"
- "Oldest Settlement in the Lousiana Purchase"
- "Night of Noels near Natchitoches!"
- "A well preserved town on the river."
- "Keeweechic's Natchitoches"
- "Basaic Natchitoches Page"
- "Natchitoches Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Natchitoches
- Hotels in Natchitoches
- Transportation in Natchitoches
- Nightlife in Natchitoches
- Restaurants in Natchitoches
- Shopping in Natchitoches
- Warnings and Dangers in Natchitoches
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Natchitoches
- 18 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (68)
Have you been to Natchitoches?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Natchitoches
Photos in NatchitochesSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (84)
Latest Natchitoches hotel reviews