"Keeweechic's Natchez" Natchez by keeweechic
Natchez Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 22 photos
The village Natchez was the last home of the Natchez Indians after they were defeated by the French in Mississippi. They continued their war-like ways however and St. Denis, wanting to protect the friendly Natchitoches Indians, completed the defeat of the Natchez.
Natchitoches was established in 1714, by the French in order to promote trade with the area's indians and the Spanish in Mexico. The French first arrived in the area around 1699. Americans began to settle in the area in large numbers after the Louisiana Purchase.
The introduction of cotton agriculture saw the establishment of great plantations along what is now Cane River Lake. However, in the 1830's, the Red River jumped its main course about five miles east of the town. The former path of the mighty Red River is now referred to as Cane River Lake, a narrow, meandering body of water, 32 miles in length, that flows from just above the heart of the historic district on down through Plantation Country.
Natchez is located in Natchitoches Parish just south of Natchitoches town between Natchitoches and Alexandria along Highway 1 near the Red River and Lake Nantaches. The population estimate for July 1, 1998 was only 534, that was an increase of 100 since 1990. Even trying to find out facts of this little place was difficult.
African House was built in 1800 was a slave-fort and provision house. The lower story is of baked brick and the upper... more travel advice
Clementine Hunter (Louisiana’s most famous folk artist and the daughter of a former slave) was born on Hidden Hill... more travel advice
keeweechic's Related Pages
Natchez Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Natchez
- 20 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Natchez?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Natchez
Photos in NatchezSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues