"Keeweechic's Pensacola" Pensacola by keeweechic
Pensacola Travel Guide: 250 reviews and 565 photos
Pensacola is in Escambia County which is in the extreme western end of the Florida Panhandle which borders the State of Alabama on the west and north. Unlike most of Florida, Pensacola and the Gulf Coast areas are on Central time zone. Known as the ‘City of Five Flags”, the history here is a long one spanning 400 years and during that time has changed hands 17 times between the French, Spanish, British, Confederate and U.S. The Native Americans were thought to have lived in the area for more than 10,000 years and the street names, architecture, rivers and creeks even reflect their presence. Seafood and timber were the early contributors to the economy and later the military and tourism brought about a whole new focus on business.
The beach areas were largely undeveloped for many decades until modern bridges were built and the area was made more accessible to cars. Today there are miles of protected seashore after the creation of the National Seashore in 1972. There are many activities to be enjoyed and many sights to see in Pensacola like Fort Pickens, a Civil War fortress which was later a prison for the Indian chief Geronimo. There is also the Pensacola Naval Air Station, home of the fabled Blue Angels acrobatic team and one of the world's largest aviation museums. We were just passing through so I cannot comment personally but it certainly seems worth a visit and spending more time.
If you go to McGuire's, be careful of the signs on the restroom doors. Read carefully, they may not be as clear as you... more travel advice
Pensacola Beach is on Santa Rosa Island . With 20 miles of snow white sand and aquamarine waters to enjoy Pensacola... more travel advice
keeweechic's Related Pages
Pensacola Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "pensacola florida"
- "Pensacola: City, Beach, Childhood Home"
- "Eva's Pensacola and Pensacola Beach Page"
- "Flight Training in the Florida Panhandle"
- "Pensacola Beach"
- "Pensacola Florida"
- "3 1/2 Hours - and a world away - from New Orleans"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pensacola
- Hotels in Pensacola
- Transportation in Pensacola
- Nightlife in Pensacola
- Restaurants in Pensacola
- Shopping in Pensacola
- Warnings and Dangers in Pensacola
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pensacola
- 8 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (67)
Have you been to Pensacola?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pensacola
Photos in PensacolaSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues