"Keeweechic's Spanish Fort" Spanish Fort by keeweechic
Spanish Fort Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 26 photos
Spanish Fort is located on Mobile Bay, on I-10. The Tensaw and Meaher State Park are close by. The city is part of the Mobile, Alabama metro area and is located in Baldwin County - nine miles from downtown Mobile.
The area is full of prehistoric Indian mounds. Some 4,000 years ago, a prehistoric Indian civilisation dwelled here. Much later in the 18th century came a French colonial settlement and the civilised and educated Apalachee Indians who lived here for a short while before travelling west. New England settlers turned this area into a thriving riverfront town in the 1820's which even surpassed Mobile and the first courthouse and county seat of Baldwin County before yellow fever epidemics and greed killed the boom town.
Blakeley is the original spelling of the town, chartered in 1814. However, during the Civil War the name changed to drop the additional 'e' and the name of the fort was Fort Blakely. An area known for the historic significance of having the last major battle of the Civil War fought here. The Union forces concentrated on Spanish Fort and Fort Blakeley and on March 27, 1865, Maj Gen Canby's forces rendezvoused at Danleys Ferry and instantly undertook a siege of Spanish Fort. By April 1 the Union had completely surrounded the fort and on April 8, captured it. Most of the Confederate forces took flight and escaped to Mobile but Spanish Fort was no longer a threat.
We visited the park from Mobile where we had been staying. It was just a delightful drive especially coming from an area devoid of forests and wooded areas. I just wish we had more time to really slow down our tour around the historic sights. Enroute to the State Park you will pass by Spanish Fort Visitor Centre. Just be aware they close on Sundays.
The Saluda Cemetary is just along from the entrance to Blakely State Park on the main highway 225. The Historical Marker... more travel advice
We found this place driving from a Walmart store back to the highway - Spanish Fort was on the other side of the... more travel advice
keeweechic's Related Pages
Spanish Fort Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Spanish Fort"
- "spanish fort alabama"
- "Historic Blakely Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Spanish Fort
- Transportation in Spanish Fort
- Restaurants in Spanish Fort
- Warnings and Dangers in Spanish Fort
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Spanish Fort
- 17 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (155)
Have you been to Spanish Fort?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Spanish Fort
Photos in Spanish FortSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues