"Keeweechic's Mobile" Mobile by keeweechic
Mobile Travel Guide: 279 reviews and 736 photos
Mobile has always done well because of its location – deep bay and harbour area which offered a perfect shipping port. Dauphin Island and the islands of the Gulf Shores were also ideal for military strategists. This is where they built strong forts to assure that only those they wanted in the bay were allowed in. There are many historic forts still around to show life into the past. Mobiles name is believed to come from a Choctaw Indian word for "paddlers." . From 1702-63 the area was occupied by the French and then by the British from 1763-80, and by the Spanish from 1780-1813.
It is believed that Prince Madoc of Wales first discovered Mobile Bay in 1170. In 1510, Amerigo Vespucci was thought to have mapped Mobile Bay. He was kindly received by the native Indians who lived on both shores of the bay. The city of Mobile is the county seat. Both the city and the county derive their name from Fort Louis de la Mobile, a French fortification erected near Mount Vernon in 1702.
There are wonderful grand houses and buildings within Mobile. I was pleasantly surprised by the area as a whole. The Battleship Memorial Park was a worthwhile visit too.
(c) keeweechic 2001-2006 (copyright)
If you are travelling to or from the South you will no doubt go through the George Wallace Tunnel on Interstate 10. This... more travel advice
This is the site of last major battle of the Civil War. It is an excellent preserved battlefield as well as a nice drive... more travel advice
keeweechic's Related Pages
Mobile Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Mobile Page"
- "Mobile and the Gulf Coast"
- "mobile alabama"
- "Mobile is a Secret Southern Powerhouse!"
- "Alabama's Bay Port on the Gulf"
- "Sweet Home Alabama"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mobile
- Hotels in Mobile
- Transportation in Mobile
- Nightlife in Mobile
- Restaurants in Mobile
- Shopping in Mobile
- Warnings and Dangers in Mobile
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mobile
- 35 Reviews
- 69 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (154)
Have you been to Mobile?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mobile
Photos in MobileSee All Photos (69)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues