"Keeweechic's Ludwigshafen" Ludwigshafen am Rhein by keeweechic
Ludwigshafen am Rhein Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 23 photos
Well what can I say about Ludwigshafen - not much I'm afraid. This was very much just a nights stay in this city enroute further south. Other than a quick drive around the city - the major attraction being pointed out was the very large BASF plant and headquarters. It is just one of the many large companies which has based its headquarters here. At first glance it seems to be very much a workers city with lots of freeways and with so many working opportunities, there is also a good standard of living for the people of the whole region.
Ludwigshafen am Rhein (Ludwig's port) is very much an industrial city which has a population of 166,000. It lies just across the Rhine from Mannheim, another major city on the Rhine. Ludwigshafen began in 1607 as part of the fortifications defending Mannheim. It was named for King Ludwig I in 1843. and being not too far from Stuttgart it also began as a hunting retreat in 1699. Around 1715 it was laid out as a town.
Ludwigshafen at first glance - only a worker's city, a town with a large chemical industry, a city with lots of freeways. It's indeed a city with a large chemical industry: the BASF corporation, well reknown worldwide, is one of many large companies that has its headquarters here. The city's more than 110.000 places of work serve as a basis for a good standard of living for the people of the whole region. Easily accesible. more than 60.000 employees commute into Ludwigshafen from the outskirts every day.
Ludwigshafen is a rail junction, commercial centre, and the gateway to the wine-growing region of the Rhine. Aside from being known for its large chemical industry, which was established in the 1860s, steel and machinery are also manufactured.
(c) keeweechic 2001 - 2006 (copyright)
Wasserturm (Water Tower) is an elaborate 19th-century water tower which is most definitely a landmark of Mannheim. more travel advice
Heidelberg Castle was built in several stages from the 14th through to the 17th century. As a result, the castle is an... more travel advice
keeweechic's Related Pages
Ludwigshafen am Rhein Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Ludwigshafen"
- "Mr_Edd_20's new Ludwigshafen Page"
- "smartiesam's new Ludwigshafen page"
- "queenpamela's new Ludwigshafen Page"
- "queensali's new Ludwigshafen Page"
- "Ludwigshafen am Rhein - my hometown"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ludwigshafen am Rhein
- Hotels in Ludwigshafen am Rhein
- Transportation in Ludwigshafen am Rhein
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ludwigshafen am Rhein
- 9 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (155)
Have you been to Ludwigshafen am Rhein?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ludwigshafen am Rhein
Photos in Ludwigshafen am RheinSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues