"Keeweechic's Singapore" Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore by keeweechic
Singapore Travel Guide: 11,457 reviews and 26,704 photos
Singapore lies just near the equator. A small tropical island of just under 640 sq kms with the world's busiest port Singapore has gone from strength to strength since Sir Stamford Raffles claimed the island as a British trading post in 1819. Following independence in 1965, Singapore has become Southeast Asia's most modern and successful city, a vibrant metropolis where 3 million Chinese (78%), Malays (14%), Indians (7%) and Eurasians live and work side-by-side. They have gradually acquired a distinct identity as Singaporeans while still retaining their traditional practices, customs and festivals which makes this a really fascinating city.
There are over 70 world class hotels, 18 golf courses and more tourist attractions than you can ever hope to get around while you are there. From Singapore you can take day trips over to Indonesia or to Malaysia very easily. You will find the diversity of food in Singapore just amazing. The shopping is also good although not as cheap as it once was. The days are hot and humid and the nights tropically balmy.
Getting around in Singapore is very easy. The MRT (train system) is very clean and efficient and very easy to use. Taxi's are inexpensive and the drivers speak English (mostly). Buses are even easy to get around on. Take a cruise down the Singapore river or to the outlying islands. When in Rome.. eat and shop like a local - their favourite pastimes next to sleeping. Pick up the local lingo 'lah' and tag it on to the end of your sentances and no one will tell the difference (in the dark). You will find the language different 'Singlish' - nique to Singaporeans, a mix of English, Chinese dialects and Malay.
I lived and worked twice in Singapore. The first time was a little bit of a culture shock at first - although these days Singapore is very western in comparison to other Asian cities - I was only starting to get into the swing of things when I had to move back to Australia. The second time back was by choice and I loved it. I only left to transfer to Hong Kong (another passionate place of mine) and I left many good friends in Singapore. The only time in my life that I actually felt home-sick (and that was for Singapore and friends, not NZ my native country).
Singapore comprises Singapore Island and some 59 islets. The highest point Bukit Timah 178 metres.
More in my Travelogues
Lims Arts & Living was a popular haunt of mine while living in Singapore on both occasions and while it has certainly... more travel advice
St Joseph’s Church is supposed to be the first Catholic church in Singapore. This particular neo-gothic style was built... more travel advice
- See All Unique Architecture
- See All Peranakan Place
- See All Fragrance Backpackers Hostel
- See All Duck & Hippo Tours
- Singapore Indoor Stadium
keeweechic's Related Pages
Singapore Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Singapore, My Lil' Haven"
- "1 Main Island and 63 Islets - 699 Sq Km"
- "IMPREXXION: SINGAPORE"
- "Singapore - My Homeland"
- "Keeweechic's Singapore"
- "City of surprises"
- "Singapore - The Garden City!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Singapore
- Hotels in Singapore
- Transportation in Singapore
- Nightlife in Singapore
- Restaurants in Singapore
- Shopping in Singapore
- Warnings and Dangers in Singapore
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Singapore
- 152 Reviews
- 244 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (67)
Have you been to Singapore?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Singapore
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues