"Keeweechic's Singapore" Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore by keeweechic

Singapore Travel Guide: 11,464 reviews and 26,731 photos

Singapore lies just near the equator. A small tropical island of just under 640 sq kms with the world's busiest port Singapore has gone from strength to strength since Sir Stamford Raffles claimed the island as a British trading post in 1819. Following independence in 1965, Singapore has become Southeast Asia's most modern and successful city, a vibrant metropolis where 3 million Chinese (78%), Malays (14%), Indians (7%) and Eurasians live and work side-by-side. They have gradually acquired a distinct identity as Singaporeans while still retaining their traditional practices, customs and festivals which makes this a really fascinating city.

There are over 70 world class hotels, 18 golf courses and more tourist attractions than you can ever hope to get around while you are there. From Singapore you can take day trips over to Indonesia or to Malaysia very easily. You will find the diversity of food in Singapore just amazing. The shopping is also good although not as cheap as it once was. The days are hot and humid and the nights tropically balmy.

Getting around in Singapore is very easy. The MRT (train system) is very clean and efficient and very easy to use. Taxi's are inexpensive and the drivers speak English (mostly). Buses are even easy to get around on. Take a cruise down the Singapore river or to the outlying islands. When in Rome.. eat and shop like a local - their favourite pastimes next to sleeping. Pick up the local lingo 'lah' and tag it on to the end of your sentances and no one will tell the difference (in the dark). You will find the language different 'Singlish' - nique to Singaporeans, a mix of English, Chinese dialects and Malay.

I lived and worked twice in Singapore. The first time was a little bit of a culture shock at first - although these days Singapore is very western in comparison to other Asian cities - I was only starting to get into the swing of things when I had to move back to Australia. The second time back was by choice and I loved it. I only left to transfer to Hong Kong (another passionate place of mine) and I left many good friends in Singapore. The only time in my life that I actually felt home-sick (and that was for Singapore and friends, not NZ my native country).

Singapore comprises Singapore Island and some 59 islets. The highest point Bukit Timah 178 metres.

More in my Travelogues

Photos which are taken by myself and all headings are copyright and digitally marked. Please do not use them without permission. Thanks.(c) keeweechic 2001-2008 (copyright)

• Intro Updated Jan 26, 2008

• Jul 18, 2008 at 12:50 AM

Only in Singapore for 3 days on stopover. Seeing your tips, I wish I were there heaps longer! thank you so much for a comprehensive list and comments -so much easier when someone else has found it all out beforehand!

• lordvader's Profile Photo
    Dec 22, 2006 at 10:02 AM

Fantastic pages Kiwi. Lots of great ideas for things to do. Maybe I will stay a little longer...

• makiro's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2006 at 4:48 PM

Ive enjoyed your Singapore pages. I hope to visit again soon...apparently I missed some things I found on your pages. Thanks, Rob

• imstress's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2006 at 11:17 PM

when will you come to visit Singapore again? nice page.

• syllybabe's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2006 at 4:17 PM

This is why I love VT. One plans a trip and she only needs to visit a few great pages like yours and all of a sudden a city doesn't sound so difficult to navigate. Thanks for the great tips, keewee! :-)

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2006 at 2:25 PM

Fascinating city which has so many to offer. Wow, from breakfast with orang utan :-) to great night shopping and pubs till 3 am. And trips to Malaysia + Indonesia sound great :-) A must see!

• Travel2write's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2005 at 10:47 PM

Nice singapore tips! T2W

• DaDrifter's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2005 at 9:48 AM

Just returned from a trip and already missing Singapore Lah :) Missed out quite a few places ... wish I had seen these page earlier. Wonderful pages Lah :)

• Toyin's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2005 at 7:29 AM

Thanks for this vivid description of Singapore. I love the open zoo very much. Warm regards.

• Apr 12, 2005 at 6:12 AM

I found Singapore's version of Underwater World to be disappointing. There is one in Perth, WA (AQWA) that is bigger and more interesting. The Sydney Aquarium is also fantastic. If you're planning a trip to Australia it may be worth saving your money!

keeweechic

“Travel is the greatest eye opener you will ever get.”

Badges & Stats in Singapore

Have you been to Singapore?

Latest Activity in Singapore