Khett Siem Reab Things to Do Tips by keeweechic Top 5 Page for this destination
Khett Siem Reab Things to Do: 587 reviews and 1,492 photos
The Gallery of Bas-reliefs is made up of around 1,200 sqm’s of sandstone carvings which surrounds the first level of Angkor Wat. The pictures shown down this long gallery are of soldiers going to battle.
Address: Angkor Wat
Directions: About 4 km from Siem Reap township.
Apparently only the king and the high priest were allowed on the third level of Angkor Wat. The base of the upper level measures 60 metres, 197 feet long and is 13 metres high. Walking around the upper level you get a great view over Angkor Wat and the surrounding area.
Address: Angkor Wat
These are essentially buildings within the compounds, in the courtyards, which were referred to as libraries. No one really knows what they actually housed. Most of their exterior is in fairly good condition.
Address: Angkor Wat
According to some of the inscriptions, there were apparently some 12,640 people living within the temple enclosure which included 18 high priests, 2,740 officiates, 2,232 assistants and 615 dancers. Ta Phrom is situated near of the Tonle Bati lake.
Address: Ta Phrom
In the late afternoon when you are finished touring the temples, take a trip to Phnom Bakhen hill to get a panoramic view of the western Baray and Angkor Wat as well as watch a spectacular sunset. Phnom Bakheng once served as the temple mountain of the first city of Angkor.
Address: Phnom Bakhen Hill, Angkor
Tonle Sap (meaning Great Lake) is supposed to be one of the unique geographical wonders of the world. It is certainly the most significant inland wetland in South East Asia. During the dry season, the lake covers an area of 250,000-300,000 hectares and at least 5 times as much during the wet season.
Address: Tonle Sap
All around the temples you will see children. Most either shoeless or with wearing flipflops (jandals/thongs) and scruffy in appearance. Their bright eyes and smiles more than make up for their appearance. Most are under the age from 10 or 11 and are only to willing to show you the sites or sell you souvenirs, with their little hands out of course. These children are certainly not shy and most seem to treat the sites as their own playground.
Ta Keo temple was built by Jayavarman V around the year 975 and was actually called “Hemaringagiri” meaning “Mountain with Golden Peaks”. This was representing Mount Meru which is the sacred peak of Indian lore. Ta Keo is one of the tallest buildings in Angkor with 5 towers being on a pyramid base. For some reason work on the temple was never completed and the stonework was left unadorned. The king donated the temple to his minister Yogisvarapandita who worshipped in the shrines at the base of the temple.
Address: Ta Keo Temple
Directions: Located east of Angkor Thom
The Terrace extends to almost 1000ft in length and is made of carved standstone. The carvings illustrate the hunting of primarily lions and tigers as well as sporting events. The staircases that lead up to the 10' high platform are flanked by 3 elephant heads. The Elephant Terrace stretches from the Baphuon to the terrace of the Leper King’
Address: Angkor Thom
Directions: 3.3 km from Angkor Wat
The walls on the inside are covered with 1,200 metres of carved reliefs. These carvings depict historical events, kings and town life in the city.
Address: Bayon Temple, Angkor Thom
More Reviews (10)
keeweechic's Related Pages
Khett Siem Reab Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Diva's Guide to Angkor"
- "Siem Reap"
- "Keeweechic's Siem Reap"
- "Amazing Ankor Wat"
- "Los templos de Angkor- Angkor temples"
- "Old World Charm of Siem Reap"
- "In Angkor and around"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Khett Siem Reab
- Hotels in Khett Siem Reab
- Transportation in Khett Siem Reab
- Nightlife in Khett Siem Reab
- Restaurants in Khett Siem Reab
- Shopping in Khett Siem Reab
- Warnings and Dangers in Khett Siem Reab
- See All...
Explore the World
- Savannah Things to Do
- Saint Augustine Things to Do
- Boracay Island Things to Do
- Ho Chi Minh City Things to Do
- Ottawa Things to Do
- Kennebunkport Things to Do
- Paris Things to Do
- Bukit Fraser Things to Do
- Springfield Things to Do
- Killeen Things to Do
- Mellieha Things to Do
- Las Vegas Things to Do
- Strasbourg Things to Do
- Morro Bay Things to Do
Badges & Stats in Khett Siem Reab
- 48 Reviews
- 51 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (68)
Have you been to Khett Siem Reab?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Khett Siem Reab
Photos in Khett Siem ReabSee All Photos (51)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues