"Keeweechic's Hong Kong SAR" Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong by keeweechic
Hong Kong Travel Guide: 8,666 reviews and 21,186 photos
I spent 2 years living and working in Hong Kong and loved every minute of it. I was lucky to be living there through the history making time of the Hand Over back to China and all the celebrations that entailed. I fell in love with Hong Kong the very first time I went there and when I had to opportunity to go and live and work there, it was an experience I could not turn down. I spent many non-working hours just walking the little back streets and local areas of Hong Kong and being a 'local'. I loved the old decrepit old buildings with vegetation sprouting out of every crack, the dripping aircon units overhead, the old shop houses crammed full from floor to ceiling with everything imaginable, and non-imaginable. Seeing the character etched faces of the old people who were bent over from many years of hard work performing their Tai Chi at 6.30am in local parks.
In contrast, the progress of the ever changing skyline of uniquely modern and mirrored towers which could challenge any budding architect. I loved being able to walk out my door and having everything open and 'alive' with activity, being a female out on my own and feeling safe. The people never ceased to amaze me. While sometimes thought of as being rude in their mannerisms, I only found them to be very helpful. I was truly amazed by the men there. I never really thought of them as being romantic or affectionate (and I apologise for that misconception) but I found it lovely to see couples young and old, walking holding hands, to find out the dollar amount of roses bought by men on Valentines day and letter and poems written by men to their sweethearts. I was also stunned by the amount of compliments I got in the street, on trains. They were not 'pick up lines', but genuine comments by old and young, who made them and then continued walking. They threw me to start, but after the 'caution - warning! warning!' passed, they made me smile and but I came to have a very different opinion about the people.
More in my Travelogues
There are two huge 10 metre high statues of Avalokitesvara, the Goddess of Mercy and Tin Hau (the Queen of Heaven and... more travel advice
The Rides include : The Dragon - Hong Kong's largest roller. The Flying Swing - swings you in chairs as high as 7 metres... more travel advice
- See All Precious Buddha
- See All Kowloon
- See All Temple Street Food Stalls
- See All Cheung Chau Island
- See All Low Cloud ? Victoria Peak
- See All Mandarin Oriental
keeweechic's Related Pages
Hong Kong Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Jewels of Hong Kong"
- "Welcome to my favourite city in the world"
- "Hong Kong: City of Life with Endless Motions!"
- "Keeweechic's Hong Kong SAR"
- "Hong Kong"
- "Hong Kong"
- "Hong Kong"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hong Kong
- Hotels in Hong Kong
- Transportation in Hong Kong
- Nightlife in Hong Kong
- Restaurants in Hong Kong
- Shopping in Hong Kong
- Warnings and Dangers in Hong Kong
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hong Kong
- 223 Reviews
- 383 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (155)
Have you been to Hong Kong?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hong Kong
Photos in Hong KongSee All Photos (383)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues