"Keeweechic's Hong Kong SAR" Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong by keeweechic

Hong Kong Travel Guide: 8,553 reviews and 20,822 photos

I spent 2 years living and working in Hong Kong and loved every minute of it. I was lucky to be living there through the history making time of the Hand Over back to China and all the celebrations that entailed. I fell in love with Hong Kong the very first time I went there and when I had to opportunity to go and live and work there, it was an experience I could not turn down. I spent many non-working hours just walking the little back streets and local areas of Hong Kong and being a 'local'. I loved the old decrepit old buildings with vegetation sprouting out of every crack, the dripping aircon units overhead, the old shop houses crammed full from floor to ceiling with everything imaginable, and non-imaginable. Seeing the character etched faces of the old people who were bent over from many years of hard work performing their Tai Chi at 6.30am in local parks.

"To know the road ahead, ask those coming back"
Chinese Proverb

In contrast, the progress of the ever changing skyline of uniquely modern and mirrored towers which could challenge any budding architect. I loved being able to walk out my door and having everything open and 'alive' with activity, being a female out on my own and feeling safe. The people never ceased to amaze me. While sometimes thought of as being rude in their mannerisms, I only found them to be very helpful. I was truly amazed by the men there. I never really thought of them as being romantic or affectionate (and I apologise for that misconception) but I found it lovely to see couples young and old, walking holding hands, to find out the dollar amount of roses bought by men on Valentines day and letter and poems written by men to their sweethearts. I was also stunned by the amount of compliments I got in the street, on trains. They were not 'pick up lines', but genuine comments by old and young, who made them and then continued walking. They threw me to start, but after the 'caution - warning! warning!' passed, they made me smile and but I came to have a very different opinion about the people.

More in my Travelogues

Photos which are taken by myself and all headings are copyright and digitally marked. Please do not use them without permission. Thanks.© keeweechic 2001-2008 (copyright)

• Last visit to Hong Kong: Feb 1998
  • Intro Updated Mar 13, 2008

• mittoo's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2011 at 9:38 PM

My advice for cheap accommodation to backpackers traveling to Hongkong, one of the World's costliest city's is "CHUNGKING MANSION", on Nathan Street. Happy "Backpackers tours".

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Mar 15, 2011 at 11:38 AM

Great page! I have been to Hong Kong, but unfortunately only for one day - really want to go back! Can't understand why some of your tips only have one star, they are really good!

• Arkeolog's Profile Photo
    Mar 18, 2009 at 7:18 AM

great page and excellent tips here. all the best.Bora

• junecorlett's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2009 at 5:46 AM

How cheeky is that?! a member used your pics. I want to check his/her page!!

• Dec 2, 2008 at 2:50 PM

Excellent tips !

• skatzcatz's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2007 at 8:13 PM

so does this mean i can use your pics now and say they are mine :-P -> Photos which are taken by myself and all headings are copyright and digitally marked. Please do not use them without permission. Thanks.© keeweechic 2001-2006 (copyright)

• Apr 29, 2007 at 7:38 PM

Yes, Tiger Balm Gardens close & the developers got their greedy mitts on it & built a huge apartment block. Typical Hong Kong!

• juliewong's Profile Photo
    Apr 13, 2007 at 10:16 AM

Good tips there. Makes me wanna go back there again.

• Apr 6, 2007 at 5:33 PM

thanks for including directions - makes it so much easier to plan our trip.

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    May 20, 2006 at 4:09 AM

Thank you for the virtual tour. You must have had a very interesting two years living in this lively city.

keeweechic

“Travel is the greatest eye opener you will ever get.”

Badges & Stats in Hong Kong

Have you been to Hong Kong?

Latest Activity in Hong Kong