"Keeweechic's Dover" Dover by keeweechic
Dover Travel Guide: 339 reviews and 703 photos
The Stone Age people were reported to be the first settlers in Dover somewhere around 6000 years ago. Under the direction of Julius Caesar, the first Roman forces invaded Dover in 55BC but were forced back by fierce Celts, who forcefully defended their coastline. It was not until 43 AD that Roman forces successfully landed on British soil at Richborough and took control of the land as far as the northern border. Dover, then called DVBRIS and went on to become Roman's most important naval town. When the Roman Empire fell, Dover and much of Kent became a major settlement for many Germanic tribes who came across the North Sea. Many of these settlers were of German and Denmark origin and were hired as soldiers to help fight against the Picts and Scots. At that time Dover was known as DOFRAS and became a major settlement in Kent. Monastaries were built at that time. Many important Saxon remains have been found in the area including a remarkable grave stone, jewellery, burial remains, and household items. St. Mary-in-Castro which still stands today was built on the Castle Hill in the 10th century and is a monument to the Saxon era.
The Norman Conquest in 1066 which was also the year of the Battle of Hastings changed British history when William the Conqueror defeated the Saxon defences. William marched on Dover, stopping only to burn the castle and a few villages to the ground to take control of the town and the country’s most important strategical ports (closest point to France.)
Today, Dover is a rich with its history and can offer what few other towns can boast with unique collection of relics and monuments dating back from the Bronze Age, the Roman Empire, the Saxon era, and virtually every other important historic period.
(c) keeweechic 2001 - 2006 (copyright)
Kent can be the hottest place in the country during the summer with an abundance of sunshine but it can also be the... more travel advice
There is a lot to see in Dover if you are not just passing through enroute to Europe like I was. In which case you see... more travel advice
keeweechic's Related Pages
Dover Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to England"
- "Gateway to England"
- "MEDIEVAL DOVER"
- "OUR FIRST TOWN IN ENGLAND WAS................."
- "More of a dirty greenish colour"
- "One day trip to Dover.."
- "Just passing through?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dover
- Hotels in Dover
- Transportation in Dover
- Nightlife in Dover
- Restaurants in Dover
- Shopping in Dover
- Warnings and Dangers in Dover
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dover
- 8 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (68)
Have you been to Dover?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dover
Photos in DoverSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues
Latest Dover hotel reviews
- Clare House
- 34 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 25, 2013
- Dover Youth Hostel
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
- DEFUNCT - Best Western Churchill Hotel & Health Club
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
- Premier Inn Dover - West
- 261 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Walletts Court Country House Hotel
- 187 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- St. Martin's Guest House
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 18, 2013
- Premier Inn Dover - Central
- 534 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 10, 2013
- Dell Guest House
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Best Western Dover Marina Hotel & Spa
- 317 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013