"Keeweechic's Lake District" Lake District National Park by keeweechic
Lake District National Park Travel Guide: 487 reviews and 1,306 photos
The Lake District National Park in Cumbria County is 885 square miles in size and is the largest of the 11 national parks in England & Wales. There are over 1800 miles of footpaths through some of Britain's most beautiful countryside. Early tourists to the Lake District in the 1700's came in search of beautiful scenery and today’s tourist is still doing the same thing.
The Norse Vikings who invaded Britain during the 9th and 10th centuries left their mark on the dialect which is spoken in this northern part of England. Locals refer to a mountain as a 'fell'; a waterfall as a 'force'; a stream as a 'beck' and use the word 'thwaite' for a clearing.
Two centuries ago Wordsworth was captivated by the Lake District and Ruskin used the area’s natural beauty to provide inspiration for his works. Beatrix Potters family also rented several different holiday homes in the Lakes and later she decided to move permanently to the Lake District where she became a Lakeland farmer and also wrote most of her stories. When she died in 1943, she left 4,000 acres to the National Trust.
A mix of spectacular mountains some of which exceed 3,000 feet in places and make a for a challenging climb and peaceful lakes, rolling hills and lively market towns, the Lake District is a really unique part of England.
The area around Grasmere, Ambleside, Coniston & Windermere are popular tourists spots for walking and cycling. Hadrians Walls is to the North of the Lake District.
(c) keeweechic 2001 - 2008 (copyright)
Kirkstone Pass Inn is on the main road which goes through the Kirkstone Pass and over to Patterdale and Ullswater. The... more travel advice
Located right int heart of the Lake District, Grasmere is just north of Ambleside on the A591 and is one of the smaller... more travel advice
keeweechic's Related Pages
Lake District National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Right On Our Doorstep......"
- "A favourite part of the country"
- "Lake District"
- "Ben-UK's Lake District page"
- "It`s Just A Hop Skip And A Jump"
- "Scenery at its best"
- "The Lake District - scenery at its best"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lake District National Park
- Hotels in Lake District National Park
- Transportation in Lake District National Park
- Nightlife in Lake District National Park
- Restaurants in Lake District National Park
- Shopping in Lake District National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Lake District National Park
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Lake District National Park
- 11 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 20 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Lake District National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lake District National Park
Photos in Lake District National ParkSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues