"Keeweechic's Middlesbrough" Top 5 Page for this destination Middlesbrough by keeweechic
Middlesbrough Travel Guide: 159 reviews and 366 photos
In the first century, the site of what is now Middlesbrough was just a timber built church and a community on a small hill which rose up from the river and sloped away to the surrounding marshland. One theory is that the name Middlesbrough comes from the fact that this place was half way on the monks journey from Lindisfarne to Whitby. Another suggest is that it was called Middleberg after the conquest when King William's army laid waste to the north which included the villages around Middlesbrough and the community itself. In 1119 Robert de Brus , who had acquired large areas of land in the area, gave the chapel at Middlesbrough to the monks of Whitby so long as it was maintained and occupied by its monks.
Middlesbrough sits near the mouth of the River Tees in the north-east of England. It is today a lively town with a proud industrial heritage which reflects in the unique Transporter Bridge. Cleveland, formerly known as Teesside, was created in 1968 by the merger of Middlesbrough, Stockton-on-Tees, Thornaby-on-Tees, and Redcar. Before iron was discovered there in 1831, Middlesbrough was a coal port. Stockton-on-Tees developed industrially after the opening of the Stockton and Darlington Railway (the first important railroad in Great Britain) in 1825.
(c) keeweechic 2001 - 2006 (copyright)
Kirkstone Pass reaches an altitude of 454m / 1489ft . There are fabulous views as you drive through this area. The... more travel advice
This is a magnificent Norman Cathedral and one of the best in Europe. Built in 1093, it is the shrine of St Cuthbert and... more travel advice
keeweechic's Related Pages
Middlesbrough Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "'You're Just A Small Town On Teesside'"
- "Keeweechic's Middlesbrough"
- "It aint just about 'The Boro'!"
- "some interesting stuff in Middlesbrough"
- "Whitby on the North Sea"
- "Middlesbrough: Bridges and Bridges"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Middlesbrough
- Hotels in Middlesbrough
- Transportation in Middlesbrough
- Nightlife in Middlesbrough
- Restaurants in Middlesbrough
- Shopping in Middlesbrough
- Warnings and Dangers in Middlesbrough
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Middlesbrough
- 20 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 36 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Middlesbrough?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Middlesbrough
Photos in MiddlesbroughSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (84)
Latest Middlesbrough hotel reviews
- Premier Inn Middlesbrough
- 189 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Best Western Highfield Hotel
- 69 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- Sporting Lodge Inn Middlesbrough
- 191 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Marton Hotel & Country Club
- 83 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- Thistle Middlesbrough
- 184 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Travelodge Middlesbrough
- 87 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 28, 2013
- Hotel Baltimore
- 43 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 21, 2013