"Keeweechic's Monaco" Monaco by keeweechic
Monaco Travel Guide: 1,063 reviews and 3,076 photos
Monaco is a small independent principality of Europe which forms an enclave in southeastern France. It is bordered on the south by the Mediterranean Sea and surrounded on the north, east, and west by the French department of Alpes-Maritimes. It lies in a narrow coastal strip which sometimes rises vertically upwards with its highest point at 206 feet. Its width varies at times between 65 miles and a 382 yards with a coastline of only 2.5 miles. Monaco has one of the highest population densities of any country in the world, 16,529 persons per sq km (42,809 per sq mi). The principality is composed of four districts: Monaco, the capital; La Condamine; Monte Carlo; and Fontvieille. The official language is French, although a number of people speak Monegasque which is a mixture of French and Italian with English and Italian also being spoken. Among the points of interest are a cathedral, a palace in the medieval and Renaissance styles, and an oceanographical museum, which was established in 1910 by Prince Albert I. There is also the Monte Carlo Opera and Philharmonic Orchestra. Every year there is the Monaco Grand Prix and Monte Carlo Rally.
In 1297 the principality was acquired by the house of Grimaldi, a Genoese family. During the French Revolution in 1793, the Grimaldi’s were driven out and their principality was taken over by France. In 1815 the principality was made a territory of the Kingdom of Sardinia but in 1861 under the guardianship of France, it was restored as an independent state. Monaco achieved admittance to the United Nations in 1993.
Monaco is one of those magical glamorous places that has a world wide reputation. There are fabulous gardens and parks which have been laid out around the city and with the great climate, it manages to charm visitors right throughout the year. Shopping is a big attractions with designer and high fashion boutiques all with the latest creations as well as very chic restaurants to be seen at. Wealth abounds in the city and you can see that in the luxury limo’s and sports cars navigating the famous curves of the city. . This is Monaco - 'The Rock'. This perfect little Paradise is one of the "IN" places for the international jet set and the very famous. It is also, understandably, a favorite hunting ground for the notorious ""parapazzis".
(c) keeweechic 2001 - 2006 (copyright)
On January, 6th 1875, the first stone was laid of the Cathedral and was built during the reign of Charles III and... more travel advice
Saint Martin Gardens - surrounding Oceanographic Museum were built c.1830 and represent the beauty of region. There are... more travel advice
keeweechic's Related Pages
Monaco Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Monte-Carlo, Monaco"
- "MONACO - The Land of the Rich and Famous"
- "Small Pricipality in the Cote d'Azure"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Monaco
- Hotels in Monaco
- Transportation in Monaco
- Nightlife in Monaco
- Restaurants in Monaco
- Shopping in Monaco
- Warnings and Dangers in Monaco
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Monaco
- 19 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Monaco?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Monaco
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues