Hong Kong Island Local Custom Tips by keeweechic Top 5 Page for this destination
Hong Kong Island Local Customs: 5 reviews and 8 photos
Should you be asked to visit the home of a local, be sure to take your shoes off at the door. Chinese do not usually wear their shoes inside the house and it is good manners to follow their customs (although they will not insist for a foreigner to do so).
The most popular time to visit is from the middle of September to the end of February, when the weather is cooler. At its coolest (mid-December to February), the temperature averages 15C; at its warmest (late May to mid-September), it averages 27.7C. Humidity can get very high especially in summer and make you feel weary a lot quicker. Living there you find your 'whites' go yellow and your 'blacks' get mildewy.
The voltage in Hong Kong is 220 volts. They operated on the 3 pronged flat British type plug, but I also had another fat round 3 pin plug in my apartment which was an older type and was gradually being replaced by the flat head plug.
Water : All water direct from government mains in Hong Kong satisfies the United Nations World Health Organisation standards. Bottled water is widely available in hotels and supermarkets.
Travel Agent : Karen has her own travel business and handled all my personal travel bookings as well as business arrangements, when I was living in Hong Kong. She was always a great help even under pressure to get something booked or changed in a hurry. If you are contemplating booking a tour from Hong Kong, give her a call.
More Reviews (72)
- See All Stanley Markets
- Hong Kong Stadium
- Packing List
- See All The Buses & Trains
- See All Low Cloud - Victoria Peak
keeweechic's Related Pages
Hong Kong Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Hong Island"
- "Hong Kong Island - Its share of Limelight..."
- "In the Big Leagues"
- "Hong Kong - Pearl of the Orient"
- "Amazing Hong Kong Island"
- "Kowloon Island the Center of all Hong Kong"
- "Visiting Nick"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hong Kong Island
- Hotels in Hong Kong Island
- Transportation in Hong Kong Island
- Nightlife in Hong Kong Island
- Restaurants in Hong Kong Island
- Shopping in Hong Kong Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Hong Kong Island
- See All...
Explore the World
- Makuluva Island Hotels
- Gan HaShelosha
- Moscenicka Draga
- Calibang Island Hotels
- Troodos Hotels
- Ban Sop Moei Hotels
Badges & Stats in Hong Kong Island
- 76 Reviews
- 98 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Hong Kong Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hong Kong Island
Photos in Hong Kong IslandSee All Photos (98)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perth Intro, 336 reviews, 608 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 238 reviews, 512 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fremantle Intro, 258 reviews, 399 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 223 reviews, 348 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lisbon Intro, 159 reviews, 370 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 122 reviews, 364 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 212 reviews, 273 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 148 reviews, 322 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hong Kong Intro, 147 reviews, 285 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevilla Intro, 127 reviews, 284 photos, 3 travelogues